LegacyGT.com

Help!

Lazzydog

So a friend was driving me back home in my car through a canyon as I had drank to much at dinner to comfortably drive myself. He takes a corner too tight and runs over a pile of rocks. The end result (or so I thought) was 2 blown tires on the passenger side (the driver side stayed on the road) and a broken rim. I get the tires and rim replaced but the front passenger tire is still screwed. It is at the top of its travel and stuck there. After inspecting that corner of the vehicle I think the tire didn't blow on the rocks. I think the hit on the rocks made the suspension get stuck in the position it is (way more compressed than I've EVER seen) and made the tire rub on the strut until it wore through. The wheel well is filled with rubber (like the rubber you find in a pile behind a RWD car that does a big burnout). That corner is so high in its travel that it looks like it has a HUGE amount of negative camber. Any idea's on why its stuck up like that and how I can get it back down? Kicker to the whole thing is this same friend borrowed my car once before and hit something on the freeway completely screwing my header, never paid for it. Now he is dodging out of helping me fix this too.

I hope you have learned your lesson.

I think you need to find a new friend.

I'm guessing the shock is bent and the piston is stuck compressed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks Max. Yeah I've known him for almost 15 years. He was a really great guy then he went to Iraq and had an IED blow a convoy he was running. Messed him up. I don't know if I could ever bail on him in good conscience. Maybe limited involvement. Yeah I was figuring it was something in the shock. Any way to accurately diagnose it as that or just one of those all signs point to kind of things?

Well... may be done not go out drinking so much any more with him.

I'm guessing that is the only thing would would hold the shock in the compressed state.

I'm not an expert, just logical. Any good front end alignment shop can tell you what's wrong.

Do you have a friendly mechanic you can use?

You can get after market shocks for around $100. I did the fronts on a friends outback a few years back.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I should replace both fronts together though correct. I found some KYB replacements for like $70 each. Anyone had any experience with these? Acceptable as a stock replacement? Any other options that would be recommended?

Archived