LegacyGT.com

Raced a WS6

wow...glad i'm not so alone in my love for red, white, and blue horespower. yeah its kinda sad they killed off f-body's be4 the LS2, but i know somebody out there has to have done a swap.

NewScoob i'm with ya..from a roll, no replacement for displacement. one day my '72 Nova dream will be a reality....just wish that day would hurry up and get here!!!!

Kenda

Guest *Jedimaster*
^^^ I'm with you. GM killed the car by putting it in the 30K range for the V8 models. Closer to 25 and they'd sell like hotcakes.

Bah - my 4050lb v6 ran with WS6's from a roll all the time. It was "only" a 109 mph car but then again it was mostly stock too - not even a cat-back. Tell the Supra owners that small engines can't do well up top. Half a liter isn't all that much more then we have to work with.

You won't get any top end with a tiny turbo like our stocker though. Toss it for a manly snail and you'll find that missing top end.

FWIW, I've been a member at camaroz28.com for 8+ years now so I'm no stranger to the intracacies of the platform.

ok now im totally confused!! where did all these LS1 lovin' people come from?!?!

Kenda

I own a turbo'ed '02 firehawk (trans-am) I bought my legacy for a daily. I am hooked on boost and wanted a turboed car from the factory. turbo charging a N/A car is a PITA. :)

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Guest *Jedimaster*
You won't get any top end with a tiny turbo like our stocker though. Toss it for a manly snail and you'll find that missing top end.

Yeah, and have the off the line power of a Yugo :lol:

Nah - you can get a turbo with a good combination of response and top end power. It's the people who immediately go for the biggest on the market that end up having no bottom end.

For my brother's Supra we picked the smallest single available. It hit 18 psi by 3000 rpm and still trapped over 120 on pump. Did it have 1000hp bragging rights? Of course not. However, it was still a great ride on the street with power available from any speed.

Nothing we do on a Suby will approach a turboed LS1 but it doesn't mean you still can't make enough power to be fun. It's only money, right?!

Tell the Supra owners that small engines can't do well up top. Half a liter isn't all that much more then we have to work with.

Well, it's more than just 1/2 liter....it's also two additional cylinders AND an additional turbo.

That would be like comparing our engine to a twin turboed 3.0 Flat 6.

A 3.0 liter 6 isn't that small of an engine and when you have

twin turbos you're in a new ballpark for getting top end power as well.

Not fully sure, but was the Supra Turbo's sequential turbos (one for down low

and one for higher rpm boost) or simutaneous (both boost at same time...one for 3 cylinders the other for the other 3 cylinders)?

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Supra's 3.0 was an inline 6 too right?

They inherently (usually) can rev higher due to better balance than "V" engines.

Sorry, didn't mean to contribute to the drift off topic.

Bah - my 4050lb v6 ran with WS6's from a roll all the time.

Lets not leave out the two important words here that belong in front of V6. FORCED INDUCTION, those words tend to change things a bit. My SS went 13.27 as a best on it's first track outing. It had 800 miles on it. It's maiden voyage down the strip got me a 13.47. My buddies 98SS has an airlid as his sole mod and his car put down 306 hp the the wheels right before I dynoed my LGT. The LS1 is no joke and in stock form will make 345 flywheel hp with regularity.My LS1 is good for 500 at the crank with the heads/cam package+ bolt ons I have. Stage 2 LGT with a good driver should in my opinion give a stock LS1 powered car a good run down the 1/4. I will say at the traps the LS1 is stretching its legs hard and adding real estate in a hurry.

I was just saying that to counter the statement that turbo cars won't have any top end. Only those with small turbos don't have any top end.

And, my Stealth's top end also was more than the traps would indicate. It finished the 1/4 at the top of 3rd gear, meaning boost was down to ~ 14 psi. Shift into 4th, boost goes back to 19, and there's much more pull than it was doing through the traps.

I'm no newb when it comes to the LS1, or the LT1 for that matter. All the local F-body guys know me. I like all fast cars, and I don't care where they were made or who made them. One day I will own an 89 GTA just because I liked them a lot. They weren't the fastest (everybody says get the turbo TA) but gimme a mint red GTA and I'll be happy just cruising in it.

Anyway, back to the turbos. My Stealth's stock turbos were TINY. Absurdly small, almost like they were souveiners from a turbo factory. The number of turbos and the number of cylinders don't matter. It's the amount of air and the amount of fuel combusted by an engine that make power. One single turbo with the equalivent flow of a pair is equal - not better, not worse. So we're down by half a liter. Ok, so we make "only" 400 whp. That's plenty for me - I know it'll never run 10s, nor do I want it to. If that was my only wish I would have kept my old car, spent another $2k, and done it. There are pump gas DSMs (2.0 liters) trapping 125+. There's no reason we can't do it too.

Don't settle for a mild turbo upgrade and think that's it. I bought this car moreso for what it can be than for what it is stock. Just wait till I get a new turbo. Then you'll see what we can do, and on a budget too, not some demo car for a big name shop.

Oh yeah - KTM - did you see what Pampena's 3000GT did? 790 to the wheels, and 650 whp on pump gas. On race gas he can spin all 4 tires from a 100 roll, and has the video to prove it!

I will also add that when I was N/A and running 12.0's my friends high 12 sec WRX was hanging with me at 140mph+... of course with 3.23 rear and 4 speed auto, I ran out of mph quickly... I think 156 is the max for that gearing... either way...turbo's = good top end... IMO.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Oh yeah - KTM - did you see what Pampena's 3000GT did? 790 to the wheels, and 650 whp on pump gas. On race gas he can spin all 4 tires from a 100 roll, and has the video to prove it!

Sure did!!! He gave me a live demo in his parking lot the day I dynoed my car there. Car is off the wall SICK. He just put it on the road about two weeks ago. He'll be cleaning some clocks on the road:D

See that's all I need...my legacy to spin all 4 when I downshift to 3rd on the highway. Could you imagine. Going to race a civic and wailing the go pedal and lurching sidways at 65. My SS would get sideways on the highway in the rain... How much WHP do you guys thing we need to do that...We also need a front diff, but I'm thinking 5-600 whp...

I do believe at that point I'd be finsihed modding. They say no matter how much you have, you always want more, but I do believe I'd hang it up if I could spin 'em from any speed rolling.

I could get rubber in my Mirage turbo from 60ish but it was fwd and 1-wheel-peel with 195-width tires. Still, to go WOT next to somebody in what appears to be a neglected old econobox and get wheelspin was enough to get their attention.

Does this car look like it traps 100+? :D

http://www.moojohn.com/stealth/oldcars/mirage3.jpg

Archived