LegacyGT.com

Raced a WS6

Well I saw the distinct fog lights of a newer trans am last night.(lights mounted close in the front bumper). He was like 2 cars behind so I didn't think anything of it. I took off a little and then got to the next light before everyone. I noticed he was pulling up in the lane next to me so I figured this would be fun. After seeing it, I relized it was a WS6. The light turns green and we both mildly take off and go WOT at the same time. I held him through first, then through second, but once I shifted into 3rd he pulled about 1/2 a car on me. I hit 4th and he stayed right there, then we had to slow down since we were coming up on some traffic. He had exhaust, and must have had headers because of the sound. I couldn't believe it was such a close race. They're fast. Like 13.2 or so stock. I destroyed a turbo civic hatch the other day as well...

He must of been an auto. Those cars trap at 106-108 stock in manual

form. And even with Stage 2 reflash and the mods you have, you wouldn't be

trapping over 102-103 mph. So even stock he'd be "walking" away from you.

And would pull away at "power walking" pace had he had an exhaust

and headers.

He was probably an automatic and most likely just had an exhaust.

Even the last model autos Z28's (stock) trap at 104 mph.

Nice that you held with him for a bit though. Kind of sounds like my runs with

my buddy's friend who has the 05 Audi S4 manual. Our little turbo 4's just don't

pull like V8's once speeds begin to climb.

I don't think it was an auto...I don't know "for sure" but if it was an auto it would have pulled on me during the shifts...Also when we both took off it sounded like a manual. I will say I miss the torque of the V8... Being able to wail on it and the a$$ end slide out. These turbo cars are very touchy. O well...it's just something we have to sacrafice for a reliable daily driver right....

I beat a 2000ish model camaro z28 with two friends in my car(5EAT), I was surprised I did. I also TOYED with an older TL type-s with two friends in my car, It was the best race yet, I thought I wopuld lose since I had two friends but man was it fun toying with the poor guy.

Guest *Jedimaster*
You'd be right. :cool:

Ah, good to know- there's a Formula (4th gen) and a Camaro SS with a regular Camaro hood at work- I'll wait for Stage 2. :D

Guest *Jedimaster*

I wouldn't put money on it, just a friendly race :)

I never put money. I usually just tell them that if they lose they have to refer to me as "Daddy" for one week.

02 camaro's = mid-low 13's stock, high twelves with a cutout and lid.

What's a stageII legacy avg again?

This dude may have just sucked at driving. lol.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Even with a Stage 2, you'd be a fool to put money on that race with a last gen

Camaro SS. Unless the race is going to be from a stop and only last for the first couple hundred feet.

+1

Maybe on a 100 degree day in Denver! Too bad they have never had one.

Denver, CO Average High: 78 Record High: 97

02 camaro's = mid-low 13's stock, high twelves with a cutout and lid.

What's a stageII legacy avg again?

This dude may have just sucked at driving. lol.

I don't think anybody with full Stage 2 mods has really run any

numbers at a track.

And of course, when we say "Stage 2" it's going to vary depending

on the extent of the Stage 2 mods and/or whether the Stage 2 tuning

involved custom tune or CAP Stage 2 (and which octane used).

BUT...figure on average, I think a Stage 2 car will pull

13.4-13.5 @ 102 mph

But on the street, it's not so much about the launch as it is trap speeds.

Last gen Camaro SS or WS6's are trapping several mph faster than what a

Stage 2 LGT would. So without a perfect launch out of the LGT driver, or from any rolling speed, a stock LS1 equipped F-Body will pull away from

even a Stage 2 LGT.

I played with a WS6 on the highway a few weeks ago. In completely stock form, my LGT 5-spd kept up, although the TA was creeping away. I'm certain even a slightly modified LGT (read 10+ whp) would even the odds.

Tell us more.

Past 90mph, a stock LGT would get destroyed by even a stock LS1 F-body, WS6 or not.

Guest *Jedimaster*
ok now im totally confused!! where did all these LS1 lovin' people come from?!?!

Kenda

Always been one. Couldn't afford one when they came out though. Now they're too impractical for me on a daily basis. Someday, as an every now and then car, like my 85 TA.

I almost bought one about a year ago. I've seen a stock Camaro SS with drag radials run 13.2. If I'm not mistaken, the WS6 is the same drivetrain as the Camaro SS. I'm betting the guy just didn't know how to shift.

As for stage 2 times, my car ran 13.7. It had more in it, but it was too late to run again. I was having problems with the car being to hot (heatsoak of the intercooler) thus warming the air it was bringing in creating less power. Let's say that with my mods I could get it down to 13.4 or 13.5, and a stock WS6 runs low 13's...I could see a bad driver on the WS6 keeping with a LGT with a decent driver, and then pulling higher in the rpm band.

Obsession with LS1's and LT-1's? haha. I myself am a musclecar guy probably like a bunch of the guys here. LGT's are our daily drivers. I had two Impala SS's. a 94 and a 96. The 96 was making 450+ hp! I'd lay on it from a standstill, and it would light the tires up through 3rd gear. I never ran it, but it was definately a 13 second car. The Legacy is one of the most practical "daily drivers" out there. Power, AWD, gas mileage, etc.... It's everything you want in a daily driver.

It's funny...all my friends drive old GTO's, Trans ams, vettes, mustangs, chevelles, and I'm the only one without a "muscle car" now. Mostly because I'm going to college and commute about 400mi. a week, but also because they rarely go outside this town and mpg isn't a huge deal.

ok now im totally confused!! where did all these LS1 lovin' people come from?!?!

Kenda

My last 3 vehicles have been 2 Mustang GT's and 1 LT1 Camaro. All Modded, all significantly faster than my LGT. From 0-30 a LGT is a terror. but from a roll THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!

I love my LGT, it is a great all around car. It is the best 4 door kid hauler under 30 grand with tuning potential. And that is why I bought it.

I think there are more than a few people on this site that live their life 1/4 mile at a time, and their are many cars better suited for this than the LGT and much cheaper to mod. IMHO

Went from a '99 Trans Am to my Legacy. Since GM decided to pull the plug on the F-body, I decided it was time to look for something different, and the AWD/Turbo combination of the WRX had always appealed to me. Unfortunately the Impreza was too small for my tastes, but when the Legacy debuted last year, I knew I had found a new love.

One time, alone on a lonely highway, I took the Trans Am up pretty far on the speedometer, and I could not believe how hard it pulled past 130mph! Mad power on the top end for that LS1. Even more from a Z06, or LS2 GTO, I'd imagine.

Leaves me bitter that a new gen F-body with the LS2 never came into being.

Archived