LegacyGT.com

I need help on a tranny replacement!

So, I think that I got a bit screwed.

I have a 1991 Subaru Legacy that had a complete swap out with a Version III STI when in Japan. I was happy, it was very fast. However, rings collapsed, and when the guy I took it to rebuilt the engine, the valves were machined incorrectly and so, the engine was toast when a piston melted to the cylinder wall.

So the mechanic replaced the engine under warrantee. He replaced it with what we believe is the engine out of a 89-94 RS with a Twin Turbo. He took the twin off, however, and put the single turbo from the STI in, because the car needed exhaust mods and I wasn't paying for it.

So then the tranny went. So he found the tranny that matched the engine and put it in. All this at a total cost of just over 7000 CDN. I got ripped off, I know.

Now that tranny is done because when the front seal went and he replaced it, he put the transmission back together wrong and a pin went through the casing.

Today I am wondering: Can I find a transmission that will work with the rear differential out of the Version III STI, and the RS Engine (I think it's a EJ20G engine)? Are they actually compatible, or did this guy REALLY do a number on it?

Your thoughts are most welcome and encouraged!

Rob

I'm not sure what transmission has the same front gear ratio as the STI rear gear ratio, but just about any transmission you can find from a Subaru boxer will work (Pretty much everything but the Justy in-line 3 cylinder).

The first gen RS car had the EJ20 DOHC motor BTW.

And get a new mechanic. He probably wasn't at fault for the engine damage, unless he does his own machine work on cylinder heads. The thing that gets me is he replaced an STI engine with a much older EJ20 motor. That is what you call a warranty repair? That's like taking a 2005 Mustang with rear disc brakes in for brake repair only to find out they replaced the broken brake parts with rear drums from a 1984 Mustang under warranty. It doesn't make sense. If he was responsible for the cooked engine, and you have documentation proving it, he should've gotten you a new STI shortblock and swapped everything over. Not only that, but he charged you $7,000 to do a tranny swap??? How much of that was for parts and how much was for labor? That's insane. Not only that, but what pin could have possibly gone Through the casing while replacing a front seal?

Serve this guy with papers, get your money back, then run far, far away.

Archived