LegacyGT.com

TOB retaining ring failure

define

A few weeks ago the Outback started making very strange noises from the clutch, and engagement was very jerky. I joined up here and read all the great info regarding clutch failures, along with the excellent video series by Scruit.

I got a few quotes from a local shop I trust, along with the closest Subaru dealer (just for kicks). They weren't too far off - $1700 and $1980 respectfully. That only meant one thing: doing it myself. I placed a parts order from Fred Beans for an 07+ clutch kit, picked up the recommended Harbor Freight tranny jack stand and cracked it open.

What I saw was a bit surprising. The retaining ring for the TOB had disengaged from its intended position :) and was freewheeling on the input shaft. The inner and outer races were partially separated and a sizable number of bearings just fell out of the bell housing. I'm amazed I made it home once the symptoms started. There was no visible grease anywhere. The snout was fine, however. The clutch disc was down to rivets and due for replacement so at least it wasn't all for the TOB. The car has 55k miles on it now, and had 24k when I purchased it. Let's see how long this one lasts...

Comments on the job: For the most part I would agree with the difficult areas most people cite. I didn't have any problems separating the transmission from the engine (luckily) like some of you. I did have turbo clearance issues on the way out, but on the way in I adjusted the angle of the transmission and engine such that I avoided it. I used a floor jack to make small adjustments to the engine's angle to help with reassembly. Overall it wasn't too bad, and this car is *much* easier to work on than some others I've had.

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to everyone who answered my questions and Fred Beans for great prices and availability.

P1020678.thumb.JPG.ac81bad2e89c8269da7af2fb65d498b6.JPG

P1020681.thumb.JPG.6646ded859ce743b8047c58fe9f01d79.JPG

Archived