LegacyGT.com

XM trial in 2007 Legacy

Boomer9898

My recently deceased mother had a 2007 Legacy. It has a SAT setting on the radio. I understand that her model is "XM" ready and that a 3 month trial came with the car. Is this something that requires additional hardware and if so do I need to go back to the dealer where she purchased the car? It seems everyone prefers Sirrius to XM although I understand they have merged. I have been on the XM site and it is rather confusing regarding older models that are XM ready. Thanks.

The 07's have an aux-in. Personally i wouldn't spend the $379 on the unit that Subaru will charge you plus the install. Buy a plug and play unit - mount in your cubby or get a vent holder. It's much cheaper, you can take from car to car. The only downside is you won't get the display on the radio.

I would do the OEM one for convenience. Nothing to get stolen from the car, nothing to look silly hanging from a vent. It costs more, but it's clean and easy, as OEM should be.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So something like this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sirius-ST2-Starmate-Satellite-Radio/dp/B000BZ8PS8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Amazon.com: Sirius ST2 Starmate Replay Satellite Radio with Car[/ame]

Does it still use the cigarette lighter connection for power or is it through the aux input, and do I still need to run the antennae ? Sorry for the basic questions. It seems there are a lot of ways to connect the system. I want the Sirius, not the XM system.

That is the same setup I have. I hardwired the power into my cigarette lighter so I wouldn't have the cord and still use the the lighter itself for a GPS or phone charger. You have 2 choices on the antenna. You can run the antenna or you can run it into the fm antenna using something like this -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SIRIUS-RADIO-FM-DIRECT-W-ANTENNA-ADAPTERS-SUBARU-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e172563dQQitemZ360264652349QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

First off.., sorry to hear about your mother. A simple check to see if you have the satellite radio installed is to look for a big black rectangle attached to the inside of your windshield on the upper passenger's side corner. The factory atenna attaches to the inside of the window. I would think if it came with a trial it would have been installed. I can't speak for XM, but the Sirius box should always receive Channel 184 even if you don't have a subscription.

From having both types of receivers, I agree with with BAC5.2 from a security and convenience standpoint. The Subaru unit is not visible when installed and the cubby hole can be used for a nav screen or storage.

If you don't have it and want to go the OEM route, either an '08+ Sirius tuner or the '07+ XM tuner will work with your radio. And you don't need Subaru to install it if you can use a screwdriver. Super easy to install, takes about 15 minutes.

Even though Sirius and XM merged, I believe that there are additional subscription charges for exclusive content and require specific tuners for a dual XM/Sirius signal. I do not know if the OEM units are capable of receiving both.

Well if somebody know how to take that factory XM antenna of front glass, give me some ideas. I have been wanting it out of car, to sell. But need diagram on where the xm box is hidden. I would be willing to sell if some one wants it. I have a 07lgt. Would sell for half the price or offer. I dont ever use it. it does get like 4 demo channels ,but mostly adveritsements and news

When I installed my Sirius box, it went under the stereo behind the ashtray and power port. Found this old thread we had going before on the tuner install and options.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/anyone-get-sirius-tuneri-65559p3.html?highlight=sirius+install Post#34, just reverse the install instructions for removal.

As far as getting the antenna off.., maybe try pulling it off when it's really hot in the cabin? Kind of like debadging with the dental floss? Haven't tried to do that yet.

Boomer: I'll sell you my oem SAT equipment. It's a pretty simple module that bolts up against the factory stereo and a module that attaches to the windshield. PM if you're seriously interested. Otherwise, good luck with getting sattelite worked out!
lol

Well if somebody know how to take that factory XM antenna of front glass, give me some ideas. I have been wanting it out of car, to sell. But need diagram on where the xm box is hidden. I would be willing to sell if some one wants it. I have a 07lgt. Would sell for half the price or offer. I dont ever use it. it does get like 4 demo channels ,but mostly adveritsements and news

You can use dental floss or fishing line to slide it across. Use some nail polish romover, skin-o-soft or WD40 to remove residual glue on glass.

www.my.subaru.com has technical resource to find accessories instruction for free. Yours is just reverse.

Archived