LegacyGT.com

Water pump

Hey my second question here about my 94 Legacy wagon. I've still got an overheating problem but I've found this weird way of fixing it recently. If I notice that my car is starting to overheat I pull over, put it in park, then sometimes if I rev the engine up to about 3 or 4k rpms the temperature will rapidly drop to the normal level. One time i was going down the road and it starts to get hot so I put it in neutral and nearly floor it up to 4000 rpm and it cools down almost instantly.

so what i have deducted is that an air lock gets into the lines or something like that and the water pump is too weak to push it through. when i give the engine more rpms it speeds up the water pump so the coolant can start flowing again. So does my water pump need replacing? I know that i most likely have a bad head gasket but I'm too cheap to replace that. I've had it for as long as I've owned the car. just wondering if this situation sounds like a weak water pump problem.

thanks in advance for the responses. this forum is awesome!

If it was a newer Legacy with the 2.5 engine I'd agree on the head gasket issue completely. The head gasket issue plagued the 2.5 up until 2004. They were such reliability nightmares that I'm honestly surprised that Subaru survived to tell the tale. The EJ22 never had issues with head gaskets, but as with all engines, it is possible that they fail from time to time. The EJ22, however, was not known for head gasket failure.

This issue seems to point more in the direction of a water pump.

They're not to expensive, so if you're going to go about doing the work yourself you might as well replace the entire timing belt as well. Its an inexpensive piece of mind.

Archived