LegacyGT.com

Lower Control Arms and Struts

DoDo1975

I had tried to have a wheel alignment completed on my 2005 Legacy GT LTD, but the shop didn't complete it and said the following.

I have to replace both my front lower control arms and struts.

What exactly does this mean, and is it usualy to have to replace at 100,000 km (car is always paved road driven and not driven hard).

Is $2000 a reasonable price for doing this. Should I seek 2nd opinion?

No, it shouldn't cost that much to replace it. You need to get more specific information on the what is broken and why. Really, bad struts should not affect the ability to do an alignment unless they are bent, than you would have bigger problems. Same with the control arms. Bad bushings in the control arm and/or bad ball joint would make it hard to do an alignment, but it still shouldn't cost that much.

The bushings in the LCAs are I think $12. Should only cost 2-3 hours time. Total should be around $300. The whole arm shouldnt need to be replaced unless bent.

Not sure how much new struts run but shouldnt be more than $500 (you can get Koni for $600). Replacing struts shouldnt take more than about 4 hours. Estimated cost $900.

$2000 is way too high. Get a second opinion.

If it's not a subie specific shop they will be putting in for 3-4hrs per corner for strut installs. That's what the "book" says for em.

With that said we charge $200 to do struts (labor) and $200 to do the LCA Bushings (labor) at our shop.

-mike

Archived