LegacyGT.com

Lumbar support on Seatback broke today...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to pry or be offensive, but I'm very curious as to the heights and weights of people that have broken theirs. SOA seems to design for, uh, smaller folks

Have you sat in a 2010+ Legacy/Outback? They're similar size wise to Camrys and Accords. Totally different animal than the 05-09s.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

Actually the Legacy is much more spacious than my friends 2010 Camry. Even better, the body of the doors are not as high, as well as the dash. There is a very open look for driver and passenger.

+1

I rented a new camry from hertz when Subaru was diagnosing an exhaust rattle. It in no way felt more spacious; in fact, I felt a bit more cramped, and the interior lines of the cabin seem more focused on creating an "ambiance" rather than maximizing interior space.

Not to pry or be offensive, but I'm very curious as to the heights and weights of people that have broken theirs. SOA seems to design for, uh, smaller folks

Well even with my height and weight I am far from some of the land whales that many (now average) Americans are. I could stand to lose about 20 lbs. but I still don't think the seat internals should have broken from me just sitting down like normal.

I think foreign car companies DON'T design USDM cars with smaller people in mind; there are so many huge people here that they must design correctly to fit the needs. Have you seen the size of the new GT-R compared to the old Skylines?

So far, knock on fake dash wood, mine has been OK but I'm only 5'6" / 133lbs. I do mess with my lumbar support a fair amount, I'm guessing it may be a matter of time. Do you guys that have been in there to mess with the mechanism think it's worth screwing with before something happens? Maybe re-enforcing the hook area?

Anyone have a pic of this issue? Is it worth doing a scoobymods page on?

Peaty,

2019 Imp Sport 5 Dr (Mine) 2013 Outback Premium (Wife's)

2010 Legacy 3.6R (Son), 2001 Forester S (other son)

1999 Miata (my summer ride)

• 2 months later...

Mine broke a few months back. I kept putting it off to get it fixed, but I finally did last week. I guess they had to "diagnose" it first, instead of taking my word for it, then order the part. No biggie. I understand that may be protocol.

The part came in, and I brought the car in this morning. I go to pick it up this afternoon and as I get in my car, my service advisor tells me to test it out. Works like brand new, just like before. I was good to go. Just as she steps away, I lean back into it and SNAP. Done. I didn't even put the key into the ignition. At least I didn't drive away and have it snap after I left the dealership. This way she actually saw that it was broken AGAIN and another part is coming.

Have they came up with a permanent solution on this? And am I the only one to experience this?

Keep in mind, 5'10 175 lbs. She even said, it's not like I'm some sumo wrestler.

Liu621 As I mentioned in the first post, I took the seat back off to look at the problem and repaired myself.

If the dealer doesnt replace the "s" hook with something stronger it will only break again. The dealer could double up the new hooks.

Good luck with the 2nd repair.

So far, knock on fake dash wood, mine has been OK but I'm only 5'6" / 133lbs. I do mess with my lumbar support a fair amount, I'm guessing it may be a matter of time. Do you guys that have been in there to mess with the mechanism think it's worth screwing with before something happens? Maybe re-enforcing the hook area?

Anyone have a pic of this issue? Is it worth doing a scoobymods page on?

You just made me feel fat......

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

I don't have lumbar support on my 2.5i but I was leaning back and something snapped and now the drivers seat squeeks really badly. guess I'll take it to the dealer to look at while they take the dents out with that paintless dent repair contract I got with them.

My cars at the dealership again today. At least I got a Outback as a loaner. I showed the service advisor the post about the hooks. We'll see if there's anything else that can be done. I don't know what I'm going to do if I get the car, lean back, and the thing snaps again.

Too bad this isn't lemon law eligible... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well the damn thing broke again today, just reaching into my pocket for a five to pay the toll on the Ohio Turnpike.

I hope the dealer can just order the seat frame with out me making a trip across town for them to tell me what I already know.

From the pictures posted it looks like an easy fix, but I am concerned screwing up the seat back attempting to remove it.

Aside from the recalls and this issue its not a bad car.

• 3 months later...

Well I need to resurrect this old thread.

Ours isn't broken but the support isn't even to the point of being very uncomfortable when trying to use it. The left side comes out much further from the right so it twists you in the seat.

But looking at the pictures, I'm not sure how that would happen unless the rightside bracket, not hook was bent.

Anyone else run into an uneven lumbar support?

If one side comes out further than the other, it's broke. Bring it to the dealership. Like I previously posted, mine was "fixed" and when I sat into my seat and leaned back it snapped. I waited another week and a half and they fixed it, for reals this time, and everything has been fine since.

Mine broke about 2 weeks ago.. Already went to the dealer about it and they are ordering me a part to fix it.. Mine broke while I was accelerating fast. It was frustrating that the lumbar support wasnt made with much strength.

• 2 years later...

Bumping this old thread as I'm the newest victim. Sat in the seat while leaving work today, and a snap followed by me sinking in a couple inches. It's like sleeping on a bad mattress :(

Calling Subaru tomorrow to set up a meeting to get it fixed under warranty.

Brought my car to the dealership to have a headlight bulb changed and one of the employees who moved my car broke it.

Really easy to fix myself used one of these on each side. It easily fits the existing hole for the original part. *Without removing the plastic bit

http://i.imgur.com/qMPf0pj.jpg

• 4 months later...

Good morning all,

I am kinda new here to the forum and recently bought the 2014 legacy and I don't want to create another thread for this. Cut to the point, my seat feels really uncomfortable for long commute. The left side of the lumbar support always stick out further (which feels stiffer) than the right. I always have that feeling of gangsta leaning toward the right side. When I try to swirl the car left to right and vice versa, I can definitely feel the left side is poking at my lumbar. When I played around with it, I can also feel that the left side gives more pressure to my back first.

I had brought the car to the dealer once and obviously it came back and stated that it's normal. I have searched around and saw couple of old threads and this one is the most updated. I would like to ask you guys couple of questions before I bring the car back to the dealer. Is this something I can fix on my own with a few bucks and don't have to deal with the dealer or have to bring it back to them again? Of course I want them to responsible for it since it only has few thousand miles on the car, but you guys already knew the drill. It's going to be back and forth, and the appointment time is like couple of weeks per request (at least from my dealer).

Good morning all,

I am kinda new here to the forum and recently bought the 2014 legacy and I don't want to create another thread for this. Cut to the point, my seat feels really uncomfortable for long commute. The left side of the lumbar support always stick out further (which feels stiffer) than the right. I always have that feeling of gangsta leaning toward the right side. When I try to swirl the car left to right and vice versa, I can definitely feel the left side is poking at my lumbar. When I played around with it, I can also feel that the left side gives more pressure to my back first.

I had brought the car to the dealer once and obviously it came back and stated that it's normal. I have searched around and saw couple of old threads and this one is the most updated. I would like to ask you guys couple of questions before I bring the car back to the dealer. Is this something I can fix on my own with a few bucks and don't have to deal with the dealer or have to bring it back to them again? Of course I want them to responsible for it since it only has few thousand miles on the car, but you guys already knew the drill. It's going to be back and forth, and the appointment time is like couple of weeks per request (at least from my dealer).

vhtran: OK, so they said "it's normal". What you need to do is ask to sit in and/or drive a brand new 2014 for comparison. If you feel a difference, then get the service adviser to do the same. If you don't feel a difference, then it is a "mea culpa" on your part.

The problem everyone is talking about is a breakage and big sink into the seat. It is not a "tilted breakage" issue in general. You just sink straight back.

Since you have a new car, I would not try myself. I adjusted mine out of spec because I didn't like the feel. This wouldn't fly for a warranty. That's why I took a chance. I ended up making a small mark on my back seat. Don't mess with it yourself unless you must. Take this up with the dealer doing the comparison above. That's my advice.

These seats aren't tough to fix, but have dealer do it if it's under warranty. I've had my seat backs off. The wires from the webbing popped off a couple times and rattled around. Toughest part was unhooking the elastic seat bottom band from under the cushion. A guy can have the dealer fix the car to specs or a guy can do it and make sure it's done right.

I opened the seat for the heck of it and hope to see the easy fix. Everything seems normal, all the hooks are there and nothing is broken. However, I found something that could be the culprit. The cushion of the left side has a hard lump in it, it's like when they mole the cushion and part of it didn't expand and just dried up. Not sure if you guys know what I am talking about but I am having another appointment with the dealer this coming Friday. Hope that I can show the tech how it feel when driving the car.

Archived