LegacyGT.com

Outback grille swap to Legacy GT?

Guest *Jedimaster*
Man it's tough to try and figure this stuff oput without the actual cars in our possession yet!

both gtguy and myself have considered this and may still well do it. The outback grill has a more aggressive look to it while the stock gt grill resembles a late 90's altima. I will probably just leave it as is, but I am most certain that there is no dimensional difference between the GT and OB grills.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']I actually will probably opt for a STi genome grille, or better yet, that Gialla grille. Both better alternatives IMO.[/quote] Yeah, If I pooped little bricks of gold. You are talking about parts that aren't available here in the US yet and will cost three to four times as much. In a perfect world I would just buy a ferrari.

Um, you're a little off base there Zevil. Comparing these grilles to buying a Ferrari is a bit extreme. The cost of those grilles may be more, but for someone going after a desired look, are required pieces. wow, such hate for liking JDM parts....:o

[quote name='Drift Monkey']Um, you're a little off base there Zevil. Comparing these grilles to buying a Ferrari is a bit extreme. The cost of those grilles may be more, but for someone going after a desired look, are required pieces. wow, such hate for liking JDM parts....:o[/quote] First let me apologize for you not understanding my comment. What I said was that if money wasn't an issue that I would buy a ferrari. The fact is that buying one of the JDM grills for our cars would be much more pricey than getting the outback grill from your local subaru parts dealer. Is that not true? Simply stated, i didn't compare buying JDM pieces to buying a ferrari. I do like a lot of the JDM stuff, some of it is quite cool indeed. Would I pay JDM-trendy tax to get something from thier market that will in no way enhance the performance of my car? No. If there was some STi parts that were available here in the US that we didn't have to pay out our teeth for, then I would consider some cosmetic upgrades. Again, there are a ton of nice looking JDM parts but unless there is a retailer here in the US, then these will no doubt be very expensive. Back on topic.... I like the way the Outback grill looks and I think it goes well with the fender flares. There are a lot of styling cues that look so nice on the Outback. I would like to see a photoshop of a GT wagon with fender flares and the grill of an outback, but sitting like a GT with GT rims and such. That would be an interesting pic. In RBP of course! ;)

You didn't literally compare them, but it was implied that JDM goodies have a Ferrari-like premium. Everyone already knows that. If you don't want to pay the premium, then don't. It's simple really, and the extra comments weren't exactly necissary.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']You didn't literally compare them, but it was implied that JDM goodies have a Ferrari-like premium. Everyone already knows that. If you don't want to pay the premium, then don't. It's simple really, and the extra comments weren't exactly necissary.[/quote] :roll: No, there was no comparison to Ferrari at all. You are the one who said that the JDM grilles posted above were "better choices". I simply brought price into factor. Also, careful who you call noob, noob... Considering that you have been here less than a month yourself. What makes him more of a noob than you? To the original poster (and back on topic): If you are interested in JDM parts or body kits in general, wait it out a bit because there will likely be tuner shops here in the US that will start picking up thier products. There should be a pretty wide variety of them available. Personally I like the OB grill as well, I just hesitate because it would look like some sort of frankenstein legacy :lol::lol: I have always been partial to STi parts simply because most often they offer form and function. They also represent some heritage as far as subaru tuning and motorsports are concerned.

7Stars, the Outback has more of a chromed, bold quality to it that matches the looks of the car. The problem with an OB grille on a GT, I think, is that it might present a stylistic incongruity. I'm certain it would fit, no problem. The OB and GT are fundamentally the same car, after all. But the GT's understated stylishness might not work particularly well with the rather bold OB grille. I generally find that non-Subaru body parts in general have a "Hey, looka me" quality to them. That is, rather than taking into account the styling of the car, and a meshing thereof, they are a very obvious difference. The STi grille for the WRX, for example (the one-piece grille for the '02-'03 cars) is an excellent example of a manufacturer-offered "aftermarket" part that really enhanced the look of the car. I have never, ever seen a grille other than the STi offering that looked anything other than silly, but that's just me. It goes without saying, however, that silly to one man is lovely to someone else. This explains the propensity toward Morette lighting by some WRX owners. Ultimately, it's your car, so do what you like to it. Kevin

This is true that the STi grill for the WRX was the ONLY grill that I ever considered. I agree with kevin that the Outback grill will look a little out of place. I would like to see some STi goodies come here in the states for the GT. The thing about STi is that you will pay the premium, but you will also get a very high quality part that was worth the money that was spent (in most cases ;))

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']:roll: No, there was no comparison to Ferrari at all. You are the one who said that the JDM grilles posted above were "better choices". I simply brought price into factor. Also, careful who you call noob, noob... Considering that you have been here less than a month yourself. What makes him more of a noob than you?[/quote] Settle down Zevil. It's clear to me what you meant, you knew exactly what you were saying when comparing the parts. I just like the JDM options better, and thats all I meant by it, hence the IMO. I didn't need your opinion, I just don't like the OB grille. You sit here and contradict yourself, saying that you wouldn't pay for overpriced JDM parts, and then say the STI Grille is the only one you would consider. Make up your mind man! :lol: I say all of this with light-hearted tone, including the n00b statement. All in good fun I say. :D

I know.. I am not getting as fired up as my posts imply. I just would only spend that kind of money on the STi stuff because it has a special place in my heart.. and it usually is the best stuff on the market. The other stuff like the karia etc. is more of what I was talking about. It's like they try to outdo each other with crap. :lol: One more thing.. you say that you didn't need my opinion yet you offered it without anyone asking for it either ;) :lol:

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Dr. Zevil'][quote name='jedimaster']*ding ding* Back to yer corners! In fo da drama![/quote] YOU WAN'T SOME BIOTCH? :lol::lol:[/quote] Man, I give yo mama some. :ohsnap:

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']I know.. I am not getting as fired up as my posts imply. I just would only spend that kind of money on the STi stuff because it has a special place in my heart.. and it usually is the best stuff on the market. The other stuff like the karia etc. is more of what I was talking about. It's like they try to outdo each other with crap. :lol: One more thing.. you say that you didn't need my opinion yet you offered it without anyone asking for it either ;) :lol:[/quote] Which doesn't change that you contradicted yourself. Only opinion matters, not yours! :lol: :lol:

Archived