LegacyGT.com

Alternator blues

I was quite disappointed when I opened up my new re-maned alt. The stud connector was snapped of due to shipping! Well I took apart both new and old alt's and swapped out that connector, cool, then I went to install the new unit and it didn't fit! The pivot bolt went through and the other hole was just shy of reaching and it was hitting on the adjustment plate instead of behind like it was supposed to...

I sat around scratching my head for a while then I got creative, I had already voided whatever warranty that came with it so I took everything back apart and put the brand new insides into the old casting! Put good parts with the parts that fit and voila it bolts in and puts out a steady 15 volts!!!

Great job!

But all EJ22 and EJ25 alternators are supposed to be interchangeable when it comes to bolt patterns. The bolt patterns should line up fine, but either way, I would've done the same thing

The later the model year, the higher the amperage. That's the general rule of thumb. The bolt patterns were all (Supposed to be) the same, but the later years and the EJ25 motors are supposed to have a higher amperage rating. Either way, at least you got the alternator to fit. It's probably one of the easiest things to change in these cars. I'd go so far as to say that it's easier than the spark plugs (Except in your case).

Whatever works, do it,

:)

Archived