LegacyGT.com

Broke THROUGH my clutch fork... 05 GT

Kaos22B

I've bent forks before (heavy plates), but never before have I seen this happen. It broke on my a few miles away from home, so I had to clutchless it the rest of the way. Thank god I've had experience with that. :lol:

Anyways, just wanted to share. Thought it was nutty that such a piece broke like this.

fork.jpg.df003e11104536a19d98d11c51f6b283.jpg

Crazy dude, but working on my clutch today I have to say I'm not too shocked. It looks like a cheap little piece of stamped metal. I hope a replacement isn't too expensive!

• 2 years later...
I had this happen a few months ago on my 06 LGT and replaced the fork and throwout bearing. I cleaned the input shaft before putting on the new throwout and put a small film of high temp grease on the shaft and caked the lube on the pivot ball and the cup of the fork. Friday night I was on the way to my girlfriends cousins wedding and was across town at a stop light on the interstate and when I went to take off my clutch never came off the floor and I immediately knew what had hapened and called AAA for a tow back home. It has only been maybe 10,000 miles sense I last did this repair and cannot figure out what is causing it. Every time the ball punched through the fork like in the picture above. im thinking about welding a pile of metal behind the cup of the fork and then attempting to heat treat it and then repaint it. The throwout bearing was chirping also already and i got a sealed type from autohausaz.com and thats way too early to have that thing noisy again. Anyone dealt with this accuring over and over again and fixed the issue? This time im going to try and find a bearing that is better and reinforce the fork and replace the pivot ball. Any advice would be awesome.

I switched to a 6 speed trans last year, so I haven't dealt with this again. But you hit the nail on the head (in my opinion).

The fork is not made well, it's a shit cast piece. Get a welder/fab guy to reinforce the heck out of it behind the pivot point, and also box the fork as well.

I read something somewhere about putting a sleeve on the input shaft to make a better surface or something on it for the trowout bearing because aparently thats a weak point too. Anyone know anything about this?

Also im kinda interested in the 6 speed swap, did you used the 07+ trans or the sti? and what all does that consist of besides the trans, rear dif, drive shaft and possibly axles?

I read something somewhere about putting a sleeve on the input shaft to make a better surface or something on it for the trowout bearing because aparently thats a weak point too. Anyone know anything about this?

Yes, the "snout kits".

Typically used once someones has worn out. But if you're in there might as well proactively fix it before yours gets damaged. 95k and my trans came out perfectly fine however.

Also im kinda interested in the 6 speed swap, did you used the 07+ trans or the sti? and what all does that consist of besides the trans, rear dif, drive shaft and possibly axles?

I had an 04 sti trans/diff available. So all I had to buy was the rear axles, rear diff mount, driveshaft and shift linkage, all from Spec B. Best move I ever made, even though my 5spd shifted like butter, I love the 6 speeds.:wub:

Clutch must be sti compatible as well.

Front axles are reusable (I converted my 04 trans to accept male axles).

Yeah my input shaft was still good looking besides old dried and cooked grease i had to clean off and that was at 120k miles but i believe i will do that to prevent from having to do this all over again.

The 6 speed would be really nice to have but man thats a lot of $ for someone who doesnt just have one laying around haha. Maybe some day...

It would be nice but if I can keep this from happening again I think this trans will be fine for my power destination. I was in the middle of an infamous stage 2 tune but now that this happened I emailed him about it but haven't heard back yet. I plan on eventually getting a 20g turbo and going stage 3 but nothing outrageous. The car has 130k miles on it and still runs like new and doesn't burn a drop of oil. It has a very slight oil leak at the left valve cover gasket but had been there forever and hasent even developed a drop yet and same story for the oil cooler seal. I plan on replacing those now that I'll be balls deep in it again. When the motor starts crapping on me ill probly rebuild with internals and then probly look for a better transmission. As far as this throwout bearing, does anyone know what the best one is? I've seen sealed and open ones and the open ones are always more expensive and I don't really get that or know what's better.

• 2 months later...
This just recently happened to me. thought it was the CMC going out, but after serveral attempts to bleed it and still having the clutch feel different, i popped the dust cover off and low and behold, found that the pivot punched right through the fork. i'm glad i'm not the only one. anyone know of a compatible fork that will prevent this from happening in the future?

It's holding if very well. The clutch pedal feels very smooth and before it was a little rough feeling pushing it slowly. Be sure to grease the ball nicely and if you really want to be safe and can swing it I would suggest getting the tranquil tsk3 sleeve kit.

Archived