LegacyGT.com

Trunk size

I've been "observing" here a while, but decided to come out of hiding for a bit. When I read the specs, I see the trunk at 11.4 cu ft. That's pretty small, but when I look at the trunk, it looks a lot bigger than that. So I did some rough measurements. Unfortunately I didn't realize until later that my measurements do add up to a lot more than 11.4 cu ft and don't have an easy way to redo them for a while. I got 40" from front to back of the trunk. I know the front slopes, so this is somewhat generous. I got 43" between the wheel wells, and 17" from floor to the heavy steel wires at the top. Now I believe there are a few things near the front of the trunk which might hang a bit below the heavy wires plus the front slope which would reduce volume. On the other hand, there are some spaces in front of and behind the wheel wells which I did not include. Anyway when I multiply that out, I get well over 16 cu ft. I wondered if someone who has easy access to a Legacy sedan could do some measurements and see what they get as the real volume of that trunk. Thanks.

I agree. The trunk looks very big. It's very efficient compared to my Solara, which has huge wheel wells for the struts, and towards the rear seats it's very narrow. I always find it a tough time fitting things in there, especially with the high bumper. Fortunately we don't have rear struts and the bumper is not too high.

Archived