LegacyGT.com

Got the wife a new car

Long story short, my wife's 2006 Chevy Equinox was having catastrophic problems at 45k miles. It had been having problems since 30k miles (2 years ago), yet... GM would do absolutely nothing about it, even though we had brought it to the dealership many times and asked to have things fixed. I can now see why they failed in the first place and having experienced their lack of customer service first hand, I'm infuriated at the fact we (America) bailed them out. Having this "wonderful" experience with GM and their lack of service tells me i'll never buy a GM product as long as I live.

*off the soap box*

So... We had to find her a new ride before her car blew up. Cars we tested:

2010 Ford Taurus SHO

Pro: Pretty quick considering it's 4300 lb curb weight. The interior quality was very nice, seats were comfortable, very roomy, LOTS of features, heated and cooled seats, sync, HID's, adaptive cruise, handled well for such a large car, sporty ride but seemed smoother than the stock 05 LGT.

Con: While the seats were comfortable, the drivers side seat does not go down as far as the passenger side, so I couldnt fit without hitting my head and tilting it to the side, or leaning the seat WAY back (I'm 6' 3"). Visibility was HORRIBLE. The back window is long, but not tall, and the trunk actually comes up at the back, further reducing rearward visibility.

2010 BMW 335i

Pro: Quick, great handling, exterior styling, the 5 year 50k mile no maintenance package, interior quality

Con: Interior design/styling, no joke, the interior was more basic than the LGT. Cupholders come out of the dashboard and are pretty flimsy. The steering was HEAVY, I know its supposed to be a sporty car, but when it feels like you dont have power steering :S And lastly, for a $50k car, I expect a lot more honestly.

2010 VW CC VR6

Pro: First, let me say WOW... Impressive car! The styling is incredible (inside and out), the interior quality is amazing (actual brushed aluminium, not fake plastic junk), Dynaudio stereo was extremely nice (as far as factory systems go, the HK in the new LGT's doesnt hold a candle to it), its fairly quick and responsive, handling isnt bad but I'd say a little worse than the SHO possibly (but we did only drive the FWD model, not the 4 motion one). The sporty seats were real wrap around and held you in place very well. All in all, if they came out with a turbo'd VR6 next year (I know they wont :( but I can dream), I'd go buy the 4 motion version to replace my 05 LGT. Also comes with a 3yr 36k mile maintenance free plan.

Con: Visibility isnt as bad as the SHO, but not as good as the LGT, but its not horrible when you get used to it. The "sunroof" is only a sunroof that tilts, no moonroof :( The seats would possibly get uncomfortable on longer trips, especially for those of us with wider seating arrangements ;) Very difficult to get out of because of the seats, low seating position, and the steering wheel is def in the way.

2010 Subaru LGT Limited and 2010 Tribeca

Pro: AWD, comfortable, interior quality and styling, decent price, power (and eventual power from tuning... hehe) handling.

Con: Manual only (LGT), not as many features as other cars we were looking at, they didnt have the right color/feature combo we were looking for, and we had to get a car sooner rather than later.

The winner...

2010 Lexus ES350

Pro: Quality is AMAZING. The leather seats are the softest and most comfortable I have ever felt/been in. The seats are heated and cooled. Features features, and did I mention, features? Basically the car comes in 2 or 3 flavors: 1) basic model, which is still very nice 2) basic model with a couple of add on's 3) Every option under the sun

HID's, keyless entry with push to start (this is actually my favorite feature, you never need to take the key out of your pocket, walk up to the car and it unlocks when you touch the door handle, start it with the button, get out and press the black button on the door handle and it locks the doors), full size spare, nav/sat/backup cam, and much more. I can see why people love these cars, they are extremely impressive. Ride quality is amazing, so smooth and quiet on the highway, 6 speed auto with their "sport" shift, V6 with 285hp, and it only weighs 3700 lbs. Back seat room is very impressive, and rear seats get vents for ac/heat. When you turn the car on, the steering wheel tilts and scopes to you, turn the car off and it sucks back in, so ease of access is GREAT. Overall, a very impressive car.

Con: Compared to the other cars, price was not bad at all, but it is a little more than the subies. Not as good handling, FWD, as the "sportier" cars. Not as much power or potential for power. But, its a luxury cruiser really, not a sports sedan.

Just figured I'd share this all with you. Hope its helpful if your in the market. :)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

The VW "longevity issue" was a concern for sure, but then again, it probably wouldnt be any worse than the GM that wouldnt last 45k miles, lol.

The funny part about Lexus, 95% of the parts are from Japan, its 95% assembled over there... So in reality, the Lexus is more JDM than my subie :S

We did "look" at the RX, and thats about it. Wife did not like the styling, and from the front, it kinda looks like a boat. The underside of the front bumper is crazy wierd.

The Lexus is def not my replacement car just because it doesnt have the sport factor, but it will be our trip taking vehicle because it rides so smooth and quiet.

The ES 350 is a great choice for someone who just wants luxury and refinement. My in-laws were trying to decide between an Infiniti G37 and an ES 350. My father-in-law wanted the far sportier G37. My mother-in-law liked both. I told them that both cars are great choices, but, if you buy the G, no one can call it a "Camry with leather." Needless to say, they bought the G37. :lol:

In that price class, I would have probably gone w/ a Hyundai Genesis though. :wub:

just out of curiosity... why didn't you look at the G37 or a Nissan Maxima?

The G37 has AWD, and the Maxima has all the features the Lexus does (+ heated steering wheel :wub:), but for a cheaper price tag?

Otherwise, good info! Glad you're happy with the choice.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

We didnt go for the Nissan's due to my wife not liking their styling... She's all about the styling :S

The G37 really didnt even come to mind honestly. I've read about it, see that a lot of ppl really like it, just didnt even think of stopping by there. The Lexus dealership was actually the last stop we made, and my wife was sold on it. So I'm not sure going to the Infinity dealer would have made a difference to her, lol.

Coupled with the fact that the Lexus dealership is extremely nice and customer oriented, and they gave us a great deal on the price ;) I dont regret the choice. However, I'm going to be a lot more selective when I change cars.

^ ahhh, okay!

It was just curiosity, because I really enjoy my Maxima. Personally I think it's an extremely underrated car. It seriously comes with all the features the Lexus does and more, for much less. Plus it's a beast :) If I didn't need AWD, I'd be getting another one in a couple months, and not trading down for something else :lol:

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

^ ahhh, okay!

It was just curiosity, because I really enjoy my Maxima. Personally I think it's an extremely underrated car. It seriously comes with all the features the Lexus does and more, for much less. Plus it's a beast :) If I didn't need AWD, I'd be getting another one in a couple months, and not trading down for something else :lol:

I've heard a lot of people that really enjoy their Maxima. I actually looked into one a long time ago and it was pretty nice, but I wanted the Subie AWD and powah... :)

+1 on checking out the Maxima! As much as I hate to say it, both the 2010 Hyundai Sonata and Genesis are powerful, stylish, feature packed contenders.

Still, as long as you and your wife are happy. In the end that's all that matters and we're just a bunch of bumbling chuckleheads on the internet. :lol:

Have fun and enjoy the new car! Its going to be a huge step up from an Equinox, that's for sure.

Interesting you guys looked exclusively at sporty cars (if you can call the '10 LGT that) and then bought the first luxury car you tried. Fortunately it's #2 on consumer reports! Will need to take a ride in it to compare it to the previous gen ES my father has, and see what Lexus has been up to :)
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I know this has been mentioned but I am seriously suprised you didn't look at the G37. Right now I am looking at those similiar cars and I can't help but think I will end up with a G37. I need to test out the new maxima but I can't see how it would persuade me from not getting a G37.

Grats on the new car.

Interesting you guys looked exclusively at sporty cars (if you can call the '10 LGT that) and then bought the first luxury car you tried. Fortunately it's #2 on consumer reports! Will need to take a ride in it to compare it to the previous gen ES my father has, and see what Lexus has been up to :)

Lexus can be tricky. The generation change from the LS430 to the 460 was for the worse.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

No folding rear seat offered in the G37, just found out and my love affair ended. :(

Meh, back when my car was the main source of transportation that was a major deal for me. I still need to check and see if my babies stroller will fit in it, because if it isn't and since it has no folding rear seat... that might remove my love affair as well!

Lexus can be tricky. The generation change from the LS430 to the 460 was for the worse.

No surprise... My 1990 Lexus LS400 is a work of genius. An easy decade ahead of its time. It appears every following LS generation got more modern and sophisticated, and less... remarkable.

I was simply citing the consumer reports ranking of the ES350. I realize some other Lexus products have big issues. GS AWD... When shareholders run a company, it's about one thing above all else, and that one thing is not quality. Why I love older cars...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived