LegacyGT.com

No Horn or Car Alarm

I was trying to set off my car alarm yesterday by taping a key on the window and that didnt work. I thought that was a little odd so i rolled down the window and let the alarm arm itself then i reached through the window and unlocked it. Nothing Happened. So now im thinking that the alarm doesnt work at all so i thought i would just try the panic button on the remote and see if that might work. Well that set off the the lights blinking but still no sound. That confused me again because i assumed the car alarm would use the horn so i tryed to use the horn and guess what the horn doenst work. Alrite go to the fuse panel and find that the horn fuse is blown. So i put in a new fuse and tryed the horn again. I got about 1/4 of a second of sound from the horn and it stopped and sure enough another blown fuse. So now i know i have no horn and no car alarm. It will be going back to the dealer but just wondering if anyone here might have some insight. thanks very much. Charlie

Yeah....you would think. I will try it on mine and see if it does. Good Q, since I leave my windows down too much. I was used to having an Alpine with dual-zone radar.

• 3 weeks later...

Check the setting on your alarm if it does not "go off" when you think it should. It may be set in the "valet" mode, in which case the alarm will not be triggered by the usual impact to the body or glass. The mode can be changed to active using a technique that I have seen posted before. Or have the dealer verify the settings.

Hope this is helpful

• 5 years later...
Taping a key on the window won't set the alarm off. :D

Yeah, takes a bit more than that. I love, though, how almost nobody knows that many cars have shock sensors. Like car alarms go off all the time because of loud noises and stuff, but when I show my friends how it works by hitting the base of the windshield, and the car 'chirps' to be all like WTF STAY AWAY THIEF, people are like whoa neat! Let me try!

Archived