LegacyGT.com

Keyless Entry?

You only need 1 power actuator to make the drivers lock open which in turn open all the other 3 from the factory.

Connect the driver side to a remote or alarm source and it will open all 4 doors when you press unlock without having to install the other 3 actuators in the other doors..

No need to buy $130 kit with crappy alarm. Compustar/Viper/DEI is the alarm system you want for any car, granted anyone could steal a car regardless or alarm, wheel boot, etc. They are just deterrents, I've seen a flatbed truck drag an alarm and booted car in less then a minute.:lol:

wiring an alarm is easy....if you buy an alarm w/remote start...i would recommend getting it installed proffesionally for 100 bucks...comming from someone who is mecp certified...its a PITA for any car to do a remote start, and if you dont know what youre doing, your car will be down for at least 3 days until you sort out the wiring. or say screw it and wire it back to stock. just my .02C

I've installed an alarm multiple times, but I rather pay $125 to get one installed at a reputable shop. Includes remote start, level/incline sensor and proximity hook ups. Using CompuStar 2-way with GPS capabilities.:cool:

I'd rather not have some shop prying my trim off and using test lights on my wiring. They may know the alarms well enough but if you can get your head around basic wiring you'll have much fewer problems down the road doing it yourself.

Unless a shop is going to take the time to read a Subaru service manual, remove the trim properly, decode the wiring diagram and solder the connections, who knows what kind of hack job they'll be leaving you with.

To the OP, if circuits and wiring confuse you, by all means get some help. If V=IR makes any sense to you, you can probably handle the job yourself.

I'd rather not have some shop prying my trim off and using test lights on my wiring. They may know the alarms well enough but if you can get your head around basic wiring you'll have much fewer problems down the road doing it yourself.

Unless a shop is going to take the time to read a Subaru service manual, remove the trim properly, decode the wiring diagram and solder the connections, who knows what kind of hack job they'll be leaving you with.

To the OP, if circuits and wiring confuse you, by all means get some help. If V=IR makes any sense to you, you can probably handle the job yourself.

What trim? All they have to do is take your panel under steering wheel by your foot and the steering column cover off. If your talking about placing the brain in the dash behind HVAC controls or behind gauge cluster its an easy 4 screws to do that and fish the wiring harness to where it needs to be. As far as wiring schematics on Japanese or American cars, it's a joke. It's the German autos with integrated everything into the cars main harness you have to worry about.

just go though and see what and if anythings broken afterwards.. then if it is go complain.. would you rather fry your wiring or have a few broken trim mounts?

Exactly. I've never dealt with a bad shop. Just don't go to one thinking for $50 your gonna get a good install.

Archived