LegacyGT.com

Good tuners in Washington DC area?

froej25

Well, the dreaded P0011 code (seems to be the harbinger of doom in these cases), and it appears that my '05 Outback XT has blown its turbo (at 147,000 miles, apparently not bad, gotta love Mobil 1). Looking to do a very modest upgrade / replacement, I'm thinking to the BNR VF40-EVO16G. NOT looking for a dramatic performance increase (147k miles, remember, and who knows if any internal damage from the turbo puking on me). Of course this happened right after joining the Navy and moving to DC from Michigan, so I have no idea where to go to have the turbo installed. I found recommendations to use IAG Performance and Agile Automotive, both of which are a bit far for me, I'd like to stay closer to the Germantown / Gaithersburg area. I also see some references to "Dynamic Power Solutions" in Gaithersburg, Mach V and ptuning in northern VA; anyone have personal experience with these companies? From the webpages, DPS looks like it has the most promise...

Also, I don't want to make any additional modifications to the car; I understand these 16G turbos are "bolt-in replacements", but if anything else is needed to make the turbos work I'd appreciate a heads-up so I can reconsider my options.

I'm sure there are some good shops nearby; anyone have advice? I would like someone who has worked with BNR turbos before, and is familiar with the turbo troubles these cars seem prone to. Also that charges a fair price; I already bought a '10 Legacy to replace the Outback as a daily driver, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for what will become a secondary car (and Ensigns don't make THAT much)... Thanks...

I've used DPS in Gaithersburg for a road tune and Pirouz seems like a very knowledgeable guy. You will need a tune if you go with anything other than a stock turbo. Make sure you check or remove the banjo bolt filter and good luck!

I haven't gotten a tune (yet), but I'd definitely recommend checking out Mach V. They've been really awesome with the maintenance on my LGT, and they won't bull**** you about what you need and what you don't. It's worth a phone call - or better yet stopping in to check out the shop and the project cars they have... did you say 1,000 HP?:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the replies. I am going to use DPS I think, at least to get a price estimate. It probably makes more sense to stay stock, not sure how much life the old girl has left in her (147k is quite a bit, especially the way I used to drive); no sense in putting a lot of money into her and simultaneously shortening her life expectancy by increasing stress. Any idea how much a turbo replacement should cost? The dealer quoted $3,700, which seemed awfully high (not a big fan of the Fitzgerald Subaru service department so far).

GTBiggie, I'm in Germantown but from Michigan.

Archived