LegacyGT.com

If you have under 100k, the dealer will replace it for free under recall.

That would have been nice to know. My wifes rear went bad on our 05 OBS. I hate changing Subaru wheel bearings. PITA it is.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Mega Users

i just did this on my car. it was tough for me because i did not have all the tools i needed, and i had to purchase them as i couldn't continue any longer. My passenger rear is the one that went. I went to the dealer and they said 07+ are not under warranty past 60k. So I decided to tackle it myself.

Look at the DIY on the front wheel bearing. It has some good pictures and good explanations for what you are going to get yourself into. What it doesn't lay out in pictures is the e brake assembly I had to take apart and put back together (being the passenger rear hub). I took pictures during each part that I removed so the re assembly process wouldn't be as tough. I really recommend doing that, the re assembly with the pics was actually a breeze, and you might as well adjust it while you are in there.

All bolts came off relatively easily with PB blaster. The one that I had a lot of trouble with was the axle nut, that thing sucks if you dont have the right tools off the bat. Definately buy a 1/2" breaker bar and a 3 foot 1 inch steel pipe to get leverage. Buy the breaker bar, don't break your ratchet. I also purchased a small tank of Mapp gas to heat it up with (put the flame to the bolt for approx 2 mins.) The crow bar trick to wedge b/t the lug bolts works really well too when you are attempting to unscrew the axle nut. The Axle nut is 32mm, and if you don't have one, might as well ebay it now.

Once that is off, you gotta get a hub puller. It didn't outline it in the Front Wheel Bearing DIY, and that thing is 100% necessary to remove the hub. I got one from my buddy that works at a garage. I know you can purchase them online and they will probably come in handy in the future when you have to do another bearing.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Sumfoo1's lessons learned:

ok... the rear drum has threaded holes... just put screws in there of the right size and metric standard threads... tighten them and it comes right off.

Start all 4 nuts on the hub before you tighten any of them.

i did not mess with the e brake assembly i just pulled the drum off and dodged all the break shoes and springs as they were all in good shape.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived