LegacyGT.com

Garnet Red Legacy GT vs. VW Phaeton

Okay it wasn't a race...

I went to the local Pep Boys to look at keychains for my wife...she wants a Ford Mustang keychain that isn't ugly. They didn't have any. When my friends and I left the store a VW Phaeton pulled up and a father-son duo got out. When they were walking into the store the two of them couldn't take their eyes off my car!

LGT +1

Phaeton 0

so i don't like the phaeton much, and i don't understand why they didn't try to boost sales by calling it an audi. regardless, the phaeton is engineered better than your car in almost every way.

plus, you don't know what they were thinking. they could have been thinking, "what a peasant, he buys $30K cars with holes in the hood!"

sorry i get defensive when people bash vw.

plus, you don't know what they were thinking. they could have been thinking, "what a peasant, he buys $30K cars with holes in the hood!"

What is somebody who just dropped 80g's on a Phateon really thinking when they walk into a pepboys....

"damn,... i gotta get me some of those APC parts.... maybe a big APC sticker and clear taillights will make my car as nice as this sweet legacy which cost a third of what my car cost"

My 2001.5 Passat GLX V6 had electrical problems.

Many of the newer (2000+) VWs are notorious for that. The VWs before that just had 'problems in general'. My wife's 1996 Jetta was a good car though with relatively few problems, and that's why I got the Passat. The electrical problems (and boat-like ride) are why I got the Subaru.

D.SCOTT

those phaeton owners must belong to the club where the motto is "diff between men and boys is price of their toyz" then they end up at a red-light next to an LGT and find out how wrong the motto is LOL....ignant folks

those phaeton owners must belong to the club where the motto is "diff between men and boys is price of their toyz" then they end up at a red-light next to an LGT and find out how wrong the motto is LOL....ignant folks

And you must be from the land of "ignorant" people who like to accuse other people of being ignorant. That Phaeton that you are poking fun at will smoke your slushbox equipped LGT. Dont get me wrong I think VW made a HUGE mistake on bringing that car here in the US (The land of brandwhores). But please don't say that it isnt a good car. Have you ever studied up on the specs on this car? It really is a great car. Would I get one? Definitely not, but I do respect it for what it is.

I doubt it, they seemed genuinely interested in the car. They were much more interested in the LGT than we were in their Phaeton.

And you must be from the land of "ignorant" people who like to accuse other people of being ignorant. That Phaeton that you are poking fun at will smoke your slushbox equipped LGT. Dont get me wrong I think VW made a HUGE mistake on bringing that car here in the US (The land of brandwhores). But please don't say that it isnt a good car. Have you ever studied up on the specs on this car? It really is a great car. Would I get one? Definitely not, but I do respect it for what it is.

I think he was joking with the "ignant" comment. Anyways, only the W12 Phaeton has a chance against the LGT (manual) only because the W12 is an auto and you can just romp and the gas and go. The V-8 Phaeton would get pulled by an auto LGT. The Phaeton V8 weights 5200 lb, so its got a lot of girth to move around!!

As for the VW quality, well I think the whole German quality thing is a myth. They (BMW, MB, and VW) are getting reamed for their quality. And I'm sure there are people out there driving their Jettas and Golfs who have never experienced electrical gremlins and get really defensive when you suggest that their cars aren't good. But, aren't we all that way?

Oh, and even the current CEO (Pischetsrieder) thinks the Phaeton was a "misjudgment" so who are we to argue with him? :D

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7952

Yeah I don't like the Phaeton. If they wanted to break into the higher end market between the current Audi and Bentley vehicles, they should have taken some cues from Mercedes and slapped an Audi badge on it. What they did makes no sense to me.

That being said, I think VW (and German in general) engineering far outclasses Japanese or American cars. I do agree VW has had tepid reliability; it's very hit-or-miss (my car is perfectly fine, but I know several people had real problems).

I think forums in general get too enthusiast where people can't see the good in others (be it people or cars). Lets look at it like this, don't you think people on other boards are laughing at how our climate controls are stupid, we got crap tires from the factory, our clutches smell like death incarnate, and all Legacies since 1990 pretty much look the same? Are these really valid concerns? Yes and no. Is there still good stuff about our cars? Definitely yes.

You'll hear no more tirades from me on the subject. I like VW, always have, always will. I understand why many people don't like them, but that doesn't mean there is nothing good about them. In fact, the easiest way to judge that is by the number of people that bought them and love them ... many more than Subaru.

^^ At least the German companies do the right thing. When the 2001 M3s were blowing motors due to bad bearings, BMW recalled all the M3s, swapped bearings, and extended the warranty to 100k Miles or 160k Kms.

I didn't see Subaru do anything like that with the headgasket problems on the earlier legacies, or Mitsubishi with the crank walk problems on the 4G63.

As for the VW quality, well I think the whole German quality thing is a myth. They (BMW, MB, and VW) are getting reamed for their quality. And I'm sure there are people out there driving their Jettas and Golfs who have never experienced electrical gremlins and get really defensive when you suggest that their cars aren't good. But, aren't we all that way?

I fully agree, I came from Audi VW world before my subie. I loved my audi and VW cars, the are expensive to maintain, but so is any $50K car. High technology and power are expensive. I have heard just as many people knock subaru as have knocked VAG cars, it comes down to loyalty. Everyone likes to think they have the fastest car, best car, best features, well, each car is like a person, special with their own character. Anyone even comparing a Legacy to a Phaeton is INSANE...not even the same class of car what so ever. I have driven both the V8 and W12, extensively, and they were great cars, very solid. I also know people that have 2005 Legacy or other subaru cars that have had nothing but nightmares....quality is an issue with ANY auto maker...so get over the issue.

I had issues with my Audi, blown turbos, suspension issues, etc, but they were my fault as I modified the car beyond it's specs....pay to play. If I left the allroad stock, I have no doubt that it would have lasted very long without issues.

The main auto club/group I hang with is Audi and VW...and some of those guys have had their cars for ever, track them, drive the hell out fo them, and have the typical replacement part issues that any car driven hard will have. Despite all the bragging, I have rarely seen an STi that can match some of their Audi A4s on the track...namely Second Creek Raceway in Denver.

be a hater if you want, for me, I admire any car that has specialty features...including the phaeton.

Yeah I don't like the Phaeton. If they wanted to break into the higher end market between the current Audi and Bentley vehicles, they should have taken some cues from Mercedes and slapped an Audi badge on it. What they did makes no sense to me.

I am sure you know that the phaeton and the A8 are the same car, except the frame, the Audi is the aluminum frame and the VW is steel. The Phaeton weighs much more than the Audi, but the technology into the Audi frame shoots that price way higher. the 2 cars share many other features, including engines and transmissions, electronics, and styling. What VW did was take the platform and make it a bit more affordable, not the other way around. Also remember that the A4 and Passat share many features, as they do with the A6 as well. The TT and the jetta/golf/bug all are the same platform, same engine, but different tuning points. The R32 and the TT3.2 are the same car, same platform, same engine, same power, but about $20K differnt in price....and the R32 comes with 2 rear seats that can be used.

But you already knew that, right? ;)

i believe the other's here gave u enuff reasons to make u look like an idiot ...so i'll just leave you alone and not stir up more shit :)

You guys are really funny.

First, doubtful he had LGT envy. Keep in mind, he could of bought a couple LGT's

for the price of his Phaeton. If he wanted a $28-30K car he would of bought one!

More than likely they were looking at the color of the LGT.

Really guys, don't you from time to time see a nice colored car and look and say,

"that's a nice color" that doesn't mean you are drooling over the car itself!!!

I love how some of you guys seem to have to justify the LGT by bashing on

another car. The Phaeton might not be your car of choice, but it's a d@mn nice

car nonetheless. The LGT is in no way shape or form in the same car class or category. Move on guys. Again, they were probably admiring the Garnet Red color.

No biggie.

You guys are really funny.

First, doubtful he had LGT envy. Keep in mind, he could of bought a couple LGT's

for the price of his Phaeton. If he wanted a $28-30K car he would of bought one!

Maybe with all the discounts he did (if it was a W8)! ;)

Joking aside, VAG makes some very nice cars. Whether they're reliable or not, that's a different issue. But other than Lexus (maybe infiniti) no upscale luxury sedan is 'reliable'. Not MB, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, or the Phaeton. But then, if you can afford the $90k, reliability may not be at the top of your list. :)

I agree, let's not bash on other cars just because we don't like them (I'm sure other sites bash our LGT's all the time- I have read some) but instead behave as rational mature adults. Or maybe semi-rational. :D

tom

tom :)

and i am sure you won't be going back to VW ever! :D
Who knows?

My wife really loved her '96 Jetta until it got totalled. Sure - we all know the problems those typically have: somewhat unreliable power locks, power windows that break, a radio knob that ALWAYS falls off, amongst other things - but she still thought it was pure Fahrfergnugen!

VW owners are pretty loyal to their cars. Me? Maybe I might do it one day if their reputation becomes more reliable and they have something compelling to buy - but was what my 2005 LGT is to me now: the more reliable, more compelling car.

D.SCOTT

I am a big fan of the Tuarag and the new pictures of 06 Passat look pretty cool, but would I buy one? No way, just about everyone I know who has or had a VW has had some kind of electrical gremlins. Before my wife got her first legacy GT in 02 she had Jetta that was determined to be a lemon. We have now have owned five different Subaru's and have not had one mechanical problem.

Archived