LegacyGT.com

Car won't start...

So I'm new to Subaru from Audi... And I've already run in to some problems :eek: I bought a 99 Legacy GT with the EJ25 engine. Unbeknownst to me, I bought a car with a head gasket problem... No biggie, I pulled the engine out and re-did the heads and put an updated gasket on and torqued to Subaru spec. Put the engine back in the car and it started up and ran fine. Drove it up and down the block and it shifted a little hard but it hadn't moved in 4 days so I didn't think much of it. I parked the car back in my drive way and just let it run to ensure the overheating problems were behind me. Well... the car died and won't start back up. The heat gauge tacked all the way up and the main fan runs non-stop and the check engine light is on and the radio works (with the key out of the ignition of course). One more thing... Subaru said there weren't any codes present. :eek:

Any ideas where to begin looking? Seems like an electrical problem to me. The guys at the Subaru dealership are stumped...

no no kaz. i dont think thats the problem.. you said that it over heated and YOU turned it off or it died. if it died it is probably seized. but if its not that my guess would be that the car wont turn on casue it was hot. and the cel is telling you theres a problem that needs to be address before i let you start me again. reset the ecu and try starting.

oh oops haha I thought you killed it because the temp had climbed and everything. well...I'm with amp on that. start there, see where things go. but that definitely sounds electrical, unless...how did it die? what did you notice when you let it sit and then it just quit?

try what amp said and disconect your battery for a few minutes, check all fluids, coolant and oil to make sure your at the right levels, a leaky headgasket could mean loss of coolant which im sure you would of corrected but just making sure

Just read you have actually taken the car in to subaru,

im sure they did the above, does your starter go when attempting to turn over the car? and are there any sounds of life

Yeah... Subaru found the problem but the car is still acting funny... it was a short between the intake and fans that was cutting the CEL from being able to communicate to the rest of the engine. On my way home the car didn't really want to shift into 4th gear (i have an auto trans) then it started stuttering really badly and relays under the dash began clicking and the tach would drop down to 0 in every stutter... Should I replace the wire harness?

how many gears do automatic legacies have???

most autos are only 3 gears}

just found a really useful tranny flush you auto guys should check out

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t99571-diy-4eat-automatic-transmission-flush.html

Hey now we have 4 whole gears in the AT's. You 5spd guys only have one more gear then us:lol:

how many gears do automatic legacies have???

most autos are only 3 gears}

just found a really useful tranny flush you auto guys should check out

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t99571-diy-4eat-automatic-transmission-flush.html

For some reason I really didn't understand this guy, lol.

From what I got is you unplug the outer inlet and then fluid may spill? and clog the tube. Then hook up a clear tube to the part on the radiator and start the car to have it flush out?

yeah I didn't follow that either. I think he meant to plug it until you could get the clear piece of hose on it to start measuring out the fluid.

I also don't get bass's comment: 3 gears? really dude?? try 70s camaro :spin: haha, most autos today are 5-8, with alot of dual clutches and automated manuals!

Yes... My A6 and A4 had 5 speed ZF auto transmissions developed by Porsche... I wouldn't buy a auto trans car with at least 4 speeds (except a 1986 Jag XJ). Any who... Subaru has prevailed... They ended up finding a short within the harness that runs to the cooling fans and a loose ground wire that ran from the block to the intake manifold (white connector, 12MM bolt on the block) That caused the transmission to shift hard and not allow it to go into overdrive. If you're in the South Atlanta area, I give mad props to Don Jackson Subaru... They hauled my car back in after it broke down today and covered the tow bill and didn't charge me anything for the repairs. Hope no one else has these kinds of problems.

Archived