LegacyGT.com

Inner CV boot is ripped! Need help

I have a 1991 Legacy non turbo that i was purchased from an auction.

The problems that i noticed is that the Passenger side Inner CV boot is ripped and it looks like stuffed leaked everywhere. It still has fluid in there. Do i need to check the fluid somewhere and Add more?

How will this damage the car? Should i be driving it like this. Will it fail soon? Currently nothing is happening and it is driving fine.

Can i just replace the boot. Is this something easy or should i get a mechanic.

I'm pretty handy and i have a changed a few things on a car before.

Does anyone know what i need to do to replace the boot? instructions?

Remove the axle, remove old boot, clean and re-grease, add fresh boot and mount the axle.

If you don't have any noise from the axle now it shouldn't be a problem.

To feel safe - replace both boots since the outer one will probably go soon enough, and it sucks to have to redo the job on the same axle just because...

The front right side inner boot is one of the first ones to give up since it's heated by the cat.

An no - you shouldn't be driving like that since dir will enter the joint and it will wear down.

What you need is to loosen the center nut of the wheel jack up the car, remove the wheel and the lower suspension arm, remove the center nut completely and try to get out the axle from the wheel hub. The inner joint usually is held in place by a cotter pin (I think it is at least) and the it's resting on splines so you can just pull it off from the gearbox after you have removed the pin.

Things can of course be more awkward if you have a lot of rust.

453747.png

Thanks this helps a lot...

Remove the axle, remove old boot, clean and re-grease, add fresh boot and mount the axle.

If you don't have any noise from the axle now it shouldn't be a problem.

To feel safe - replace both boots since the outer one will probably go soon enough, and it sucks to have to redo the job on the same axle just because...

The front right side inner boot is one of the first ones to give up since it's heated by the cat.

An no - you shouldn't be driving like that since dir will enter the joint and it will wear down.

What you need is to loosen the center nut of the wheel jack up the car, remove the wheel and the lower suspension arm, remove the center nut completely and try to get out the axle from the wheel hub. The inner joint usually is held in place by a cotter pin (I think it is at least) and the it's resting on splines so you can just pull it off from the gearbox after you have removed the pin.

Things can of course be more awkward if you have a lot of rust.

Yeah, mine ripped yesterday when I was offroad :D I'm pretty sure the knuckle's made of half mud/half metal at this point. Gonna try and find the CV joint in a junk yard, but new they're only $70. One of the cheapest replacements on a car.

When you hear the click click click it's getting bad.

Heck, I found one in the junk yard yesterday that'll work for my wagon. Comes from sedan. Looks like the boots look new...well, new-ish. They couldn't have changed it out that long ago. I'll be ripping that off this weekend.

Archived