LegacyGT.com

What do you do for the Parking Brake? (brembo)

BAC5.2

Fred Beans and KNS Brakes are probably the 2 best suppliers out there. We have been in the Subaru modification business since before the WRX touched the USDM market. We've dealt with countless suppliers, even more customers and worked on every subaru model produced back to the XT6.

Who do we buy our parts from?

Fred Beans and KNS Brakes. These guys are not the enemies. Yes they may cost a little bit more than the generic Ebay stuff or from other big companies out there, but they are Subaru folks and they actually come on here to support the community rather than just try to take our $ and not contribute back.

-mike

If the spec B has an R180 rear then a few things happen. The half shafts get shorter - no biggie as that only requires machining changes which are relatively speaking easy..

The rear bracket caliper hanger is a cast iron part however. To change the spread on the mounting holes would almost certainly require a completely new part which means significant tooling investment on a low volume part. Possible but not likely unless there was some other reason to change it.

If you can measure the spread of the caliper bracket mounting holes on your rear caliper brackets I can verify that.

-Ken

There are NO differences wrt to Brembo conversion between regular GT and SpecB. R180 is immaterial here it's not STI vs WRX story. The adapter brackets you sell fit on SpecB no problem.

I did the DBA route. I finally installed mine this week. The fronts bolted on no problem. My shop had to grind the knuckle a bit for the rear bracket bolts to clear. KNS is this normal? I thought the revision 2 brackets were plug and play.

Just wondering.

Either way, looks awesome.

I agree the shoes are too expensive, company's are basically gouging the community for the brackets and shoes, they should be able to be had for less.

People will probably flame me for this but i wish there was a cheaper ebay adaptor bracket for sale.

Yes, you should get flamed, but I guess it's just plain ignorance on your part.

If you think $200 I charge for the custom parking brake shoes is too much, go ahead and find a shop that will reline yours for $100, use good quality lining, that will be both glued and riveted to the shoe. Finally your shop if you find may be surprised with the outcome of fitting a thick lining material to small drum diameter shoes.

You need to realize there is time and effort in ordering parts, shipping them, cash tied up in inventory. There was also research, trail and error in finding the right parts and testing them over time.

You need to realize it's a super niche product for a niche community, you should be glad someone even bothers making them.

I did the DBA route. I finally installed mine this week. The fronts bolted on no problem. My shop had to grind the knuckle a bit for the rear bracket bolts to clear. KNS is this normal? I thought the revision 2 brackets were plug and play.

Just wondering.

Either way, looks awesome.

Yes, this is normal on Legacy. Even more so with the revised brackets since they bring the pads to closer to the hub on the rotor (to perfect position, unlike the original brackets, Brembo brackets and Yimisports brackets, which are Brembo copy). This is not an issue though and the only way to achieve perfect fitment.

(FYI, I re-sell KNS brackets as a part of the adapter kit).

Anyone have a paint image of what needs to be removed? My mill is located quite a bit away from where I'll be doing the install, and I don't want to make a bunch of trips.

I'm too OCD to just hack it with an angle grinder. I was going to bolt them to my mill table and take off the required amount that way.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Is there a way to tell the difference between the two versions of brackets (standard vs. revised)?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yes, you should get flamed, but I guess it's just plain ignorance on your part.

If you think $200 I charge for the custom parking brake shoes is too much, go ahead and find a shop that will reline yours for $100, use good quality lining, that will be both glued and riveted to the shoe. Finally your shop if you find may be surprised with the outcome of fitting a thick lining material to small drum diameter shoes.

You need to realize there is time and effort in ordering parts, shipping them, cash tied up in inventory. There was also research, trail and error in finding the right parts and testing them over time.

You need to realize it's a super niche product for a niche community, you should be glad someone even bothers making them.

Maybe i was a bit ignorant about the pads, i still think the brackets could be a tad cheaper considering everyone with a impreza, legacy, or forester needs them to convert.

Your price on the pads is the best i have seen so far, for legacy or wrx, so kudos to you. If you can get them down to $200 after core, i dont see how larger companies cant get them down cheaper.

Like i said i wasnt intending to point fingers or piss off local venders, which it looks like i did, my apologies. I was just giving my opinion that i thought converting to rear brembos was more expensive then it should be.

• 4 years later...

2003 Legacy outback

ok ok I know this is a revival but what about swapping entire rear "?spindles" the whole corner assy from say a 2004 STi. or is that a megablock in the lego bin?

I was considering this , if lca/uca's are the same as well as suspension bits then is this plausible ill be buying some brembos soon hopefully and can get a good $ so maybe hell include them if this will work ,, cant afford to buy parts that don't fit tho

input??

Archived