LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Replacement help

I need help. I want the cheapest way to replace my exhaust. I know that there is a hole or a few holes in it because I got this car at an auction and it is making exhaust sounds (rattles and loud).

What is teh cheapest way to go? Should i just take it to meineke? Do they sell whole systems? because it is a 1991 Legacy what other system woudl work.

I'm not really looking for speed. Is there a place that sells exhausts on the web.

I live in DC there are not too many junkyards and even then it is hard getting to them in Maryland or VA.

I just need the car to be able to pass inspections without putting too much money in it. It has 193 K on it and i don't know how the person took care of it before me.

Is anyone in the area that could help or give suggestions?

First of all, we're going to need to know what area you are in if you want "Someone in the area" to help. ;)

Secondly, you can buy all the parts at AutoZone. I bought an entire muffler/pipe for $135. The center pipe between the cats is about $65. You'll need new hardware as well I'd say just get some bolts and washers and stuff. Some hacksaw or Sawzall blades are going to be needed too for those rusted bolts. A Sawzall will have the exhaust out in seconds flat. The springs and specialty hardware on the intermediate pipe can be reused. The headers are easier to seal up than replace, since most times the bolts are rusted onto the studs. Trying to get them out would most likely result in breaking the studs. The last thing you want is to have the studs break off in the cylinder head. Try to reuse the cats if possible. If the headers have holes in them, patch them the day before you go to get the car inspected with JB weld or muffler weld. The patch won't last forever, but it will last you long enough to get you a sticker, which is all that matters. Plus, a couple small holes in the headers won't be enough to get you pulled over. If I were you I'd replace everything with parts from AutoZone. That way you get what you're looking for, and if its not the right thing you don't have to worry about returning it to an online store.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you live in the Eastern MA/Southern NH area let me know and we can meet up for a free consultation. :)

First of all, we're going to need to know what area you are in if you want "Someone in the area" to help. ;)

Secondly, you can buy all the parts at AutoZone. I bought an entire muffler/pipe for $135. The center pipe between the cats is about $65. You'll need new hardware as well I'd say just get some bolts and washers and stuff. Some hacksaw or Sawzall blades are going to be needed too for those rusted bolts. A Sawzall will have the exhaust out in seconds flat. The springs and specialty hardware on the intermediate pipe can be reused. The headers are easier to seal up than replace, since most times the bolts are rusted onto the studs. Trying to get them out would most likely result in breaking the studs. The last thing you want is to have the studs break off in the cylinder head. Try to reuse the cats if possible. If the headers have holes in them, patch them the day before you go to get the car inspected with JB weld or muffler weld. The patch won't last forever, but it will last you long enough to get you a sticker, which is all that matters. Plus, a couple small holes in the headers won't be enough to get you pulled over. If I were you I'd replace everything with parts from AutoZone. That way you get what you're looking for, and if its not the right thing you don't have to worry about returning it to an online store.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you live in the Eastern MA/Southern NH area let me know and we can meet up for a free consultation. :)

Thanks I thought that i stated i was in the DC Area... But just to be more specific I am in Washington DC and I'm close to both southern Maryland and Northern VA.

Thansk for your suggestions. I Think i will take a look and repair myself if possible.

Archived