LegacyGT.com

Anyone know what % of BP/BL LGTs were 5EAT?

Anyone know the total number of BP/BL sold and what percentage was 5EAT? I'm trying to figure out why no 5EAT on the 2010 LGT. Did the numbers not justify it? Or were there too many tranny failures?

Anyone know the total number of BP/BL sold and what percentage was 5EAT? I'm trying to figure out why no 5EAT on the 2010 LGT. Did the numbers not justify it? Or were there too many tranny failures?

This has been discussed before. The consensus is that Subaru is phasing out the LGT, so they can sell to the mass market. Search for the post and you will see why.

I'm not looking for discussions. I follow threads both here and on Nasioc. I was just looking for numbers.

A concensus is great but I find it kinda weird that most other manufacturers are going turbo due to fuel economy reasons. Since most Americans drive an automatic, hence my question of why they are not mating the turbo and the 5EAT. Having gone through one 5EAT myself, I understand the limitations of it.

While it's true that a lot of manufacturers are going turbo instead of using displacement, as with most things Subaru the LGT isn't exactly a fuel miser. Considering the NA Legacy's 27mpg highway rating, the 18mpg average LGT isn't doing Subaru any favors with the EPA. A car isn't an MPG-seeking model just by virtue of having a turbo instead of a larger engine.

I have read some articles that have commented on very poor sales of the 5EAT on the GT. Same goes for the wagon - while some people love them, the number of folks willing to pay for them at the front is relatively small.

I believe the LGT now costs more than the 3.6R as well, so the LGT is really an enthusiast-only vehicle. In theory, Subaru could probably max out the LGT with some really nice bits, turn up the power a little, and bill it as their version of the M3 (I would say M5 based on the position of nameplates within Subaru's stable, but I personally think that is a level beyond the LGT). Whether they can sell it in justifiable numbers is a big question since the M3 name is gilded in a way that "Legacy" is not, and with SOA already moving the LGT to the model's highest MSRP without really touting it as the "Flagship" is probably not a great sign of things to come.

I believe for 2011 there is also only 1 Legacy GT model (Limited), whereas there was previously also a Premium trim.

Edit: I agree with fishbone below that this looks on all counts like an economic consolidation and most "enthusiasts" who would bother to seek out the turbo aren't going to check the 5EAT box. Regular shoppers who want some more performance with an auto will probably be just as satisfied with the 3.6R. The few buyers who actually want a 5EAT (and those whose wives force them to only buy Autos) will be disappointed, but SOA will understandably eat those sales in order to bring up profitability across the line.

This has been discussed before. The consensus is that Subaru is phasing out the LGT, so they can sell to the mass market. Search for the post and you will see why.

I am not bashing you by any means, I wasn't aware of such a consensus however. Most likely there isn't any other better reason than simple economics unrelated to tranny failures or future plans formulated in dark rooms by evil hooded figures looking to burry the GT-trim.

They basically consolidated their offering to please the beancounters.

They are mating the turbo to the manual because they are catering the GT to the enthusiast crowd and everything else to the Camry-cross-shoppers.

Frankly I am not sure how or why that sort of information would help you. And it is not likely you will get numbers either unless you know somebody at SOA. I am not aware of them having published anything like that.

I still find it weird how Subaru seems to be going away from forced induction in the Legacy and other car makers (Ford, Hyundai, BMW, Audi, etc.) are all migrating toward forced induction in their sedans. Mainly for fuel economy reasons. Perhaps the 5EAT isn't a good match with a turbo. Perhaps a 6EAT or a DSSG will yield better fuel economy.

2005 was about a 60/40 split in favor of 5EAT. I did the calcs based on unclemat's thread.

We don't have numbers for 06-09, though.

http://grab.by/grabs/eb5594bef666123fb2fdedbd78d061f1.png

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

2005 was about a 60/40 split in favor of 5EAT. I did the calcs based on unclemat's thread.

We don't have numbers for 06-09, though.

http://grab.by/grabs/eb5594bef666123fb2fdedbd78d061f1.png

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

This is just LGT's, correct? I wonder if that ratio held up through 2009. (?) Still, 40% is a pretty good take rate on the MT; I believe the auto industry as a whole sells less than 10% MT's in America these days.

But these numbers don't really explain why SOA would drop the AT LGT model. I suppose they must have figured that most of those 60% would be just as happy with the 3.6 engine. And perhaps they were even right about that.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived