LegacyGT.com

jdm bf5 help!!!!

hi guys just got my legacy yesterday and i think i might really regret it.

it's a 1993 jdm legacy gt wagon with ej20 single turbo. but i cant find any service manuals or owner manuals in english. and the mechanic wont let it pass inspection because he can't find specs for brakes,suspension or check engine codes. can somone please help me out? was this car interchangable with any usdm cars. i actually thought about selling it after only having it 1 day.:spin:

hi guys just got my legacy yesterday and i think i might really regret it.

it's a 1993 jdm legacy gt wagon with ej20 single turbo. but i cant find any service manuals or owner manuals in english. and the mechanic wont let it pass inspection because he can't find specs for brakes,suspension or check engine codes. can somone please help me out? was this car interchangable with any usdm cars. i actually thought about selling it after only having it 1 day.:spin:

You should be able to exchange the ECU with any USDM EJ22T cars, but I'm not entirely sure. The EJ22T ECU should be able to compensate for the EJ20 JDM engines. Either way, go somewhere else for the inspection sticker. Unless this law only applies for my state, it is my understanding that only cars older than 1995 had to pass emmissions. He can't read the OBD codes because they aren't OBDII. NO CAR before the 1995 model year was OBDII compliant, so this mechanic is pulling your chain trying to get you to spend money. Even if this car was a 1993 USDM car, he STILL wouldn't be able to read the check engine codes because the car wouldn't be OBDII compliant. Even the brakes and suspension inspection are VISUAL ONLY in EVERY STATE. Tell him to get fucked and go somewhere else..... He's trying to bend you over the table in hopes that you'll spend money to have him fix "Problems" that aren't even problems.

It would really help to know what state (Or even what COUNTRY) you're in so we can look up which laws apply to your state........................................Please update profile information so we can help you further.

hey thanks for the quick reply. the inspection is an out of province inspection as i live in alberta. drls are manditory up here so i have to get those hooked up but the rest of the mechanics complaints shouldn't be reason to fail my car. he even said that "everything looked great but he need the specs and everything is written in japanese". hopefully i can convince him to chill out and then come up with a drl mod that dot approved. it fells like i'm being taken advantage of.

Archived