LegacyGT.com

General Maintenance

I'm sorry for the duplication (or more!), but the search didn't yield exactly what I wanted to know. I have always brought my car to the dealer for general maintenance because I didn't want to deal with voiding the warranty (despite everyone saying it doesn't, I didn't want to chance ANYTHING) and since I live in NYC, I don't have a place to work on the car easily and safely. But I have always realized, of course, that dealers make these RIDICULOUS service "sets" for each interval. A 3k mile service? C'MON! It's called an oil change. Suddenly something that should cost $15 AT MOST costs $40 for "check this" and "check that". It's all a crock. I can check most of that crap myself, ESPECIALLY since most of the techs don't even check it!!!!

SO...my main question. How many people JUST do oil changes and tire rotations at the 3,750 and 7500 marks? And when should the other maintenance be done (fuel filter, air filter, coolant, brake fluid, PS fluid, timing belt, etc)? What are appropriate intervals and services for a car driven in NYC without overdoing it or underdoing it? Also, I had a Hyundai Santa Fe and it was the first car I had ever heard of with the fuel filter IN the tank. I was like "They have to drop the tank to get to it!?!?!?!" Actually, no! They had a little hatch behind the rear seat that led you right to the pump. Does the legacy have something like that from the trunk or do they LITERALLY have to drop the whole tank? I can't see trusting a fuel filter up to 120k miles.

Sorry again for the duplication (and possible wrong post area!)

I'm sorry for the duplication (or more!), but the search didn't yield exactly what I wanted to know. I have always brought my car to the dealer for general maintenance because I didn't want to deal with voiding the warranty (despite everyone saying it doesn't, I didn't want to chance ANYTHING) and since I live in NYC, I don't have a place to work on the car easily and safely. But I have always realized, of course, that dealers make these RIDICULOUS service "sets" for each interval. A 3k mile service? C'MON! It's called an oil change. Suddenly something that should cost $15 AT MOST costs $40 for "check this" and "check that". It's all a crock. I can check most of that crap myself, ESPECIALLY since most of the techs don't even check it!!!!

SO...my main question. How many people JUST do oil changes and tire rotations at the 3,750 and 7500 marks? And when should the other maintenance be done (fuel filter, air filter, coolant, brake fluid, PS fluid, timing belt, etc)? What are appropriate intervals and services for a car driven in NYC without overdoing it or underdoing it? Also, I had a Hyundai Santa Fe and it was the first car I had ever heard of with the fuel filter IN the tank. I was like "They have to drop the tank to get to it!?!?!?!" Actually, no! They had a little hatch behind the rear seat that led you right to the pump. Does the legacy have something like that from the trunk or do they LITERALLY have to drop the whole tank? I can't see trusting a fuel filter up to 120k miles.

Sorry again for the duplication (and possible wrong post area!)

Fuel pump and the filter are accessed by removing the rear seat. For the OB and Legacy, you don't have to change the fuel filter. As for maintenance, as long as you get the 15K, 30K, 45K, etc services (and your in between oil changes) there would be no issues in terms of warranty. I did this on my last car....Oil change every 3K and I brought the car to the dealer for the 15K, 30K, etc. servicing.

As for the inspection part of a service, I think it all depends on the dealer AND the tech who is working on your car. Then there are the dealers that recommend additional service items above and beyond the items listed by the car company.

Use common sense and you should be fine.

-S

I follow the factory guidlines except for oil... A couple of dino changes before switching to synthetic at 7500 or so. And where did you see 3750 for tire rotations? Follow the factory recommendations, not what the "wemakemoneyonservice" dealer guidlines.

-B

I meant respectively Beanboy, but thanks!:) 3750=oil change, 7500 = oil change and tire rotation. Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.

I follow the factory guidlines except for oil... A couple of dino changes before switching to synthetic at 7500 or so. And where did you see 3750 for tire rotations? Follow the factory recommendations, not what the "wemakemoneyonservice" dealer guidlines.

-B

When I purchased my 2.5 RS, the dealer threw in a "scheduled service" coupon book. Each coupon comes in 3750 mile intervals. Each of those list a tire rotation. I'm assuming that Subaru lists that rotation as a recommended service for the Legacy as well.

Archived