LegacyGT.com

vf52 turbo question

ok so my vf 46 blew in my 07 lgt i want to get a vf52 i hear people say i need to get a tune with it what tune should i get?

Your VF46 took a poopy:( IF you want a VF 52 you should also upgrade your injectors, fuel pump, IC. The tune you will want is up to you Pro Tune or eTune. or both

You'll definitely need a tune. With the 07's you don't really need a pump or injectors. As for the IC you can get by a Perrin/Avo one or JBWELB the end tanks on the stock one. You'll also need a new restrictor pill.

ok explain to me restrictor pill? and could i get a cobb access port with a stg1 tune map and stock injectors and fuel pump? and would this make the car run right?

cause i heard if you dont get a tune with a vf52 the car wont run right.

The Restrictor pill goes in the vacuum line connecting the compressor housing nipple to the vacuum T fitting. It's like a $1 part but it will affect boost if not changed. As for the tune the Stage 1 Cobb OTS map is designed to work with a VF46, not the 52. The bottom line is if you're spending the $$$ on the VF52 get the tune. You can pm infamous1 (or search for him on here) and he can do an e-tune for $150 (or $175 can't remember). He can tune on AP or opensource.

A 3 port electronic boost control solenoid replaces the restrictor pill and increases spool and peak boost. I have the Grimmspeed unit. Amazing bang for your buck mod. If I was in your position I would absolutely upgrade to a VF52. At stage 2 on the stock fuel system you could put down a somewhere around 275whp and 300+wtq. Depending on the boost levels you'd be running you might get close to fuel cut in fifth gear. As for the stock TMIC, the 09 WRX has the same one and I haven't heard about many of those guys blowing their endtanks. I did though :( stage 2 at 19psi. I threw another stocker on there and it seems to be holding up ok. I'm getting the Itsme unit this coming month.

I say, get the VF52 keep stock fuel system for now, get a 3 port EBCS and a road tune. Then in the future you can get some 850cc injectors, a walbro, aftermarket IC, and a new tune.

^^ E-tank is right on. I ran my VF52 with stock intake and stock bcs last year. Very fun and fast. This year I replaced the intake and just this week I installed and tuned the Grimmspeed EBCS. I didn't know what to expect out of the EBCS but the turbo hits harder and faster and I am running my taper higher than before.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I just added the prodrive bcs, tuned for 19 psi and you're right on with those numbers. I'm at 280/300 with my current setup. I'll be doing injectors and a pump but I'm at 90k on the stock clutch and any more power would most likely kill it so that will come first.

cool thanks for all the feed back and help. (i should add this is a buddys car not mine he just lives in the stoneage where internet dosnt exist and where trying to get this solved.) so my understandings are........ he should get a stg 2 tune for a vf52(which would you reccommend?) and a bcs. then later on do IC

You should do your mods at the same time and then tune. It will save you the headache of doing it twice. I've had both an E-Tune from infamous1 and a dyno tune from EFI in CT. I was happy with both of them. I'm currently tuned by EFI but I would still recommend Infamous1 if you go the E-Tune route.

how does he do an e tune like what would this involved? his car is currently down with no turbo so he is trying to get it back up and running. his current mods are custom cat-back perrin el headers perrin up-pipe and cai

E-Tune can be done 2 ways:

1) Cobb Accessport. He sends you the map - you load them on the AP and load onto your car - price approx $450-$500 used - $595 new

2) Opensource - Buy a Tactrix cable - $150-$175ish and download romraider for free. Assuming you have a laptop that's all you need.

I used an Accessport since I had it already. If I had to do it again I would probably go the open source route although I do like the compact package of the AP.

The E-tune requires a number of iterations, and may not be the best choice if your friend is not computer savvy. Your e-tuner will send a basic map that you will need to upload to the car (using AP or laptop), then you will need to do data logging and send the log files back to the tuner. The tuner will send a revised map, which you upload to the car, data log, and repeat until the tuner is satisfied. If you are not familiar with this process, a protune may be the better option: one session on a dyno and you are done.

Also: does the car have a catless or HFC downpipe? You'll need one of those for Stage 2, as well, and I didn't see one on your mod list. The ERZ one seems to be the popular choice these days.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

the car is running stock cats and down pipes. scooter where is a good place to do a protune? i noticed your in torrance we are in long beach. i was wondering how will the car run with just the swapped out vf52 and on stock tune and fueling?

You NEED a tune with the VF52; otherwise you risk damaging your engine. If you are not interested / willing to get a proper tune, just get a replacement VF46 and be done with it.

Didn't realize you were local! That changes your options: Instead of doing an e-tune, you can drive out to Moreno Valley and have Shamar (Infamous1) provide a road-tune:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/infamous-tuning-road-tunes-103998.html

If you are interested in a dyno Pro Tune, I've heard good things about Yimi Sport, although I don't have any personal experience with them.

http://www.yimisport.com/

how much do you think it would cost to have him put a tune on the car for me? general ball park figure haha just need some type of a figure to tell my buddy.

thanks for the help scooter for sure he wants a vf52 just he want to get the car back up and going.. and since it blew why not upgrade:D

Just stay out of boost and you'll be okay.

+1 Just talk to Shamar when you set up your appointment and he'll tell you how to be safe driving it or maybe he'll send you a limp-mode map to use temporarily.

Archived