LegacyGT.com

Bobbing and Bouncing

My very first post. I've been reading for days it seems, but any links I may have missed would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anyway, my new/used 05lgt seems to get a little light with speed. I don't think I'd call it tramlining as discussed at length elsewhere. The car tracks fine, it just doesn't inspire confidence with some pretty loping reaction to back road bumps. I feel like I'm floating down the road compared to my old Dodge Neon, that's right, well wrong actually. At first, I thought it was sway, with a cusco 21mm rsb being my first thought after reading every post I could find on bars. But, others seem to think the dampers need replacing generally, and still others are adding spring rate. I don't want to drop it, don't want to spend coilover money. And, if I have to drop money to button this car down, I'd like to not waste any. So if you have any suggestions on what this problem is and how to fix it, or just how to add a little enthusiast to my new friend (my current budget ready consideration below), and I'm not expecting a m3 this cheap, but maybe shrink it down a few sizes....my thanks.

Option A: Cusco 21mm or Whiteline 20mm rear. (If front is necessary, Perrin 22mm)

Option B: Tein H Tech or Eibach Pro Springs

Option C: Koni inserts/shocks

Option D: Mix and match the above.

Thanks for the quick reply. So many people swear the rsb is a mandatory addition b/c of the lgt weight and 15mm oem, and that the car handles so much better after, I just have to ask; is this just a cornering improvement, and, if I have to replace the shocks/struts to fix the bobbing, will that make the bar replacement less of the bang for the buck it would be as a stand-alone fix? My thinking is why reduce independence, and spend the cash, if the dampers will get me 90% of the way there. And finally, maybe, if I add the koni's what will the slightly increased spring rate of an H Tech or Eibach do for me that the stock springs won't? Steering feel, less roll, less/more bouncing? As for steering feel, more is always better (an m3 ruined all cars for me a couple years ago) but underdog and others seem to think replacing the lca bushing is the best bet. If I could find one for less than 150 bucks that might be an option, but any thoughts/tips as to that would also be appreciated. Again, if a two part install gets me 90% of the advantage of a three part install, this isn't my hobby. I just want to love this car until I can afford a two-seater for weekends.

One other thing to consider; I guess the guy I bought it from went to tirerack and bought the cheapest tires available - Fuzion. Even if my sidewalls are part of the problem, I probably don't have the will power to wear them out before starting the mods, but just didn't want to leave out any info while I'm asking for help. Thanks again.

Archived