LegacyGT.com

New Tires

youknowit

I have the Yoko's. Loved them for about 10,000 miles. They get very noisy after that and I hate them now. Good rain traction though.

The Eagle GT has had some issues with irregular trade wear.

Cant comment on the BFG's, except the tread depth is somewhat shallow which makes me think they will not last long, just an opinion. I had the summer version of that tire and it was excellent.

I put the Contis on my wifes Saab last winter. They were fantastic but I only put around 6000 miles on them before I traded her car. Unbeliveable snow and wet traction at the sacrifice of a little dry traction.

I had the Avid ENVigors put on a couple weeks ago after a pothole claimed my Bridgestone 960's. So far the jury is still out on them. :redface:

I've had the car back twice for balancing...still felt like garbage. Took it to another shop for the 3rd time & had them road force balanced. Haven't had a chance to test them on the hwy since the latest balance, but around town they feel smoother. Hoping the feel good tonight when I get take a highway trip...

I had the Avid ENVigors put on a couple weeks ago after a pothole claimed my Bridgestone 960's. So far the jury is still out on them. :redface:

I've had the car back twice for balancing...still felt like garbage. Took it to another shop for the 3rd time & had them road force balanced. Haven't had a chance to test them on the hwy since the latest balance, but around town they feel smoother. Hoping the feel good tonight when I get take a highway trip...

My Yokos never balanced correctly, more shimmy than I had with the Kumhos'.

My Yokos never balanced correctly, more shimmy than I had with the Kumhos'.

The Yoko Avid's I put on my wife's car have been butter smooth...but man...my car feels terrible. The last shop that balanced them said they balanced out fine & I had no bent rims.

But I feel heavy (to me) vibration thru the wheel at 50 & up. The wheel itself doesn't shimmy back & forth like a typical out of balance tire....just more vibration thru the wheel & you feel it in the seat. :confused:

But at this point I can't pinpoint if it's a problem with the tires or something else in the suspension. Wish my springs would get here so I could put my Konis on. I'm gonna start playing with the tire pressure some more too.

As a rule, do most of these tires get noisier with use, say after 10000 mile or so?

I've been reading about the Goodyear FuelMax tires over on the outback forum, seem to have some good reviews, most claiming they actually see better gas mileage. Apparently a lighter tire than some of the other choices, but not exactly cheap....

I vote against all of the above. All have questionable histories with noise, balancing, and wear.

Here's my recommendations:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P01+(W)&partnum=245WR7HTRAS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

These are what I would recommend if you want cost-savings. The sumitomo HTR line has a great reputation for a budget tire, and these are brand new and very similar in design (at least) to a pair of my favorite performance all-seasons, Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE960AS+Pole+Position&partnum=245WR7RE960PPXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

These Bridgestones have been getting rave reviews as a high performance all-season really oriented towards performance, but still with significant winter capabilities, great wear, and good noise control.

They are discounted AND have a hefty cash-back rebate right now, so their price is good close to what you were looking at....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Exalto+A%2FS&partnum=245HR7EXAS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

This is my favorite tire...I'm running it right now in this size on a different car, and I paid about $100 more than you'd pay right now. An awesome blend of performance, treadlife, noise, comfort, and traction in all conditions. 23k miles on mine, and I took it through some HEAVY snow on a 2800 pound FWD car....and felt pretty damn good about it.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+Plus&partnum=245YR7PSAS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

This is of course the benchmark for the high performance all-season category. The 3-series of tires, if you will :)

Expect this tire to find the harder line of performance, comfort, etc.

With the exception of the sumitomos (which I'd consider myself, but don't have any personal experience in), expect these tires to balance well, wear well, give great traction in 3-seasons and acceptable winter traction, good noise control, and find the right blend of comfort/steering response/handling. The Bridgestone and Pilot Sport A/S Plus offers a bit more performance, the Pilot Exalto a bit more comfort and tread wear.

I'd recommend staying away from just about every tire you named honestly....just read the reviews written BY PEOPLE WITH ~20k miles or more on the tires.

And then go to the tires I recommended, and read the reviews of people who did the same.

You'll see the true difference in what you pay for when you read the reviews focused on a longer life span.

Hmmm. I had a blow out today. Drove home on the donut since the dealership was closed. I looked on tirerack and liked the review for the DWS. Glad you like them too. Will try to get them tomorrow.

Thanks for the update. Nobody near me has them in stock. Sears told me that they are on National back order. I went directly to Continentals web site, and started calling dealers. I found one that states he will have them in by 3 or 4 today.

Working from home. Car still in garage... waiting for them to arrive.

When I checked out DWS reviews ~6 months ago, continental was getting alot of complaints of balancing & sidewalls. Maybe just some early production quality issues, now ironed out. The reviews on tirerack now are very positive.

Good luck to ya!

I've had my DWS for 6K miles now and its still going strong. Looking at the wear indicators the "S" is still visible. I'm getting ready to take these tires off and put on the Potenzas so that I can save the DWS for later this winter.

Archived