LegacyGT.com

How to quiet the COBB CBE exhaust boom... help

Soda Popinski

The (lack of a) resonator is usually the key factor in drone/boominess in the cabin... even moreso in a wagon.

I had removed the factory resonator at one point and ran with just a custom axleback Magnaflow muffler setup. It droned. I replaced the resonator and was happy to have it civilized again.

I've now installed a cxlighting resonated CBE (on my 2.5i) and it's quite a bit louder. No real drone however but it is louder than what I had. I'm putting down mass loaded vinyl (the active ingredient in the aforementioned VComp from B-Quiet) on as much of the floorpan as I can but particularly good coverage in the rear hatch area. I expect it should make quite a difference.

I still want the loud exhaust, but also want to be able to have it nice and quiet inside the car when I want too. I can always open my windows to hear the exhaust if I choose to :)

I finished soundproofing the floorpan in my 2.5i wagon... as detailed here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mass-loaded-vinyl-soundproofing-very-satisfied-133782.html

It yielded an additional 5dB reduction in noise over and above what the doors reduced (not measured unfortunately).

However, it's still pretty loud with the cxlighting exhaust, primarily under load. I think the naturally aspirated exhausts are louder as the sound/exhaust doesn't go through a turbo housing prior to coming out the back...

I'm hoping to one day do the AVO turbo kit so I'm going to leave it as-is for now. Otherwise, I'll consider adding a second resonator to the mid-pipe.

• 3 weeks later...

So, after a few road trips with the cxlighting exhaust, I will be adding a second resonator to cut down on the drone - loudest at 3k rpm under load, eg hills on the highway.

I need to measure the straight section of pipe after the existing resonator to see what I can fit in.

Contemplating Magnaflow 14419 if it will fit.

This past weekend I took a trip down to Lake Placid and back. While in the USA I experience the drone. And that's only because of the state speed limit of 55mph (in 5th that's 2400rpm). Typically I drive at either 50 (2200rpm) or 65+ mph (closer to 3000rpm) and my car is quiet inside, just a hint of exhaust note. But at 55mph and climbing hills the stereo can not drown out the drone, plus you can feel it.

Here's my setup and it does include a mid-muffler.

I used the 18" Magnaflow (11249).

Probably dampening material is next.

Has anyone tried exhaust wrapping their entire system or portions of it?

Looks like there's only just under 14" of straight pipe left in the cxlighting midpipe. I am hoping to add a second shorter resonator rather than replacing the original.

Not sure if wrapping the exhaust would help drone - I think the sound waves need to be addressed within the pipe somehow to really have an effect on drone. Not sure though.

Love my Cobb exhaust too but will probably be slapping on the stock Y-pipe or a resonator. Cabin drone at around 3k is sooo annoying. I'm going to try to lay some sound deadner down on the floor pan first and see how far that gets me before I get a resonator installed.

Anyone know how these mufflers sound with the stock y-pipe?

Archived