LegacyGT.com

5EAT TCU Reverse Engineering

utc_pyro

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, it looks like they don't have much information on the 5EAT. There are a lot of logging parameters but only one adjustment parameter. Take a look at the attached screen shots. Even though all of the values are in metric, the program seems easy to use. It recognizes the VAG COM cable immediately and it also connects right up to the car. I didn't have much time to mess with it (since I have company in from out of town) but I will definitely look into it later. Check these out and let me know your thoughts.

Oh, by the way, what is AWD Clutch Torque?????????????

2065810550_TransmissionValues.thumb.jpg.3f2147c2735643f673e10edccec68cb9.jpg

1526114375_TransmissionModifications.thumb.jpg.315c286cb327800977d267fe8ef0cfd4.jpg

Edited by KyLegacy 2.5GT

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess the clutch torque is for the front/rear torque split (center diff). Theres only 2 setting for torque split for the 5eat. Normal 45/55 front/rear, when theres tire slip it becomes 50/50

Or maybe its what we're looking for - line pressure!!

only guesses

Edited by underground000

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool. AWD Clutch Torque is possibly the torque sent to the viscous clutch used to distribute power between front and back for the 5EAT? IRRC, the AWD system used with the 5EAT is slightly different in that regard to the 5MT/6MT AWD system..

Wonder if this would let you put the car into RWD (FWD?) mode?

Cool. AWD Clutch Torque is possibly the torque sent to the viscous clutch used to distribute power between front and back for the 5EAT? IRRC, the AWD system used with the 5EAT is slightly different in that regard to the 5MT/6MT AWD system..

Wonder if this would let you put the car into RWD (FWD?) mode?

Not possible for RWD, the unless you can unlock the front gears in the diff. The torque split work by giving the rear a different gear but the front stays the same. If you look at a diagram on how our center diff works youll understand, Ill find a pic on how it works

You can put it in full FWD, put a fuse in the fuse box under the hood, but dont go more than 45? for less then xx miles

Edited by underground000

Heres the Pic

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/underground000/diff.png?t=1283555828

What happens is the rear changes gear ratios to equal the front 50/50 or a larger rear gear?? for the 45/55 split. The front gear never changes

Heres the center diff

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74688&d=1255734800

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, it looks like they don't have much information on the 5EAT. There are a lot of logging parameters but only one adjustment parameter. Take a look at the attached screen shots. Even though all of the values are in metric, the program seems easy to use. It recognizes the VAG COM cable immediately and it also connects right up to the car. I didn't have much time to mess with it (since I have company in from out of town) but I will definitely look into it later. Check these out and let me know your thoughts.

Sweet!! looks like I need a vag-com cable:icon_razz

Looking into the 5EAT manual briefly, I found the following descriptions to the values that I have shown on my first screen shot:

L/U - Lockup Solenoid

P/L - Line Pressure Solenoid????????

I/C - Input Clutch Solenoid

F/B - Front Brake Solenoid

D/C - Direct Clutch Solenoid

H & LR/C - High and Low Reverse Clutch Solenoid

I can not find out what P/L stands for though....

I saw that there was some screen shots of the 4EAT guys on that website and it showed line pressure increase... that is what I am looking for.

I wonder how hard it would be to work with the guys who created this program to get more adjustments developed for our transmission.

Looking into the 5EAT manual briefly, I found the following descriptions to the values that I have shown on my first screen shot:

L/U - Lockup Solenoid

P/L - Line Pressure Solenoid????????

I/C - Input Clutch Solenoid

F/B - Front Brake Solenoid

D/C - Direct Clutch Solenoid

H & LR/C - High and Low Reverse Clutch Solenoid

I saw that there was some screen shots of the 4EAT guys on that website and it showed line pressure increase... that is what I am looking for.

I wonder how hard it would be to work with the guys who created this program to get more adjustments developed for our transmission.

Probably not that hard.

That's the line pressure if I remember correctly The list I made is on another computer...

It shouldn't be that hard to modify the program to work with the 5eat. It's just a matter of updating the definitions. I'm not sure were the Dev got the info on how to adjust those values (the US SSMIII cant even do that!), but they probably are not that different for us.

An one email him yet?

No, but I wouldn't mind emailing him. I would want to make sure we have all of the information we need before contacting him.

We should make a list of which values are important to us for modifying. Two major parameters I would like to be able to adjust is line pressure and shift time (I don't know what all controls the shift time yet). Also, I would like to see a conversion option in the preferences to switch from metric to standard units (shouldn't be hard at all to add this to the programming). There is also no way to record the values the computer reads into a spreadsheet like RomRaider can, it is basically live feed. It does record the max values a set parameter reaches in a column next to the live feed which can be pretty helpful. Any other ideas?

If somebody is comfortable with their programming knowledge, it may be better for you to send an email. Just let me know. I'm a mechanical engineer, not a computer programmer :).

Edited by KyLegacy 2.5GT

KY...also when you tell the car to upshift (manual mode), shorten the time when you tell it to upshift to when it upshifts. I know GM cars have a TCU 'Tune' to shorten the time.

This would be awesome. I am glad we are going somewhere with this, not just for the 05-07 guys, but also to 08-09 guys too. I really hope this program can be updated to suite our needs on increasing line pressure, and decreasing the amount of time it takes to change gears.

This would be awesome. I am glad we are going somewhere with this, not just for the 05-07 guys, but also to 08-09 guys too. I really hope this program can be updated to suite our needs on increasing line pressure, and decreasing the amount of time it takes to change gears.

We all 3rd gen owners want this to happen. I do not have a cable so I do not know if this will work for 08+, 08+ TCU is different, hopefully it will still read it

KY...also when you tell the car to upshift (manual mode), shorten the time when you tell it to upshift to when it upshifts. I know GM cars have a TCU 'Tune' to shorten the time.

Haha, its Kyle, I sort of just fits in the word Legacy.

That is definitely a good parameter to look into... The only time I use it in manumatic is when I am at the track because it sucks waiting for the transmission to shift.

List of items to be added to email (will update as thread grows):

1. Line pressure adjustments

2. Shorten shift time at clutches

3. Shorten delay from manual gear selectors

4. Standard units option for us over here in America :lol:

Compatiable with the 08+ TCU

List of items to be added to email (will update as thread grows):

1. Line pressure adjustments

2. Shorten shift time at clutches

3. Shorten delay from manual gear selectors

4. Standard units option for us over here in America :lol:

Nice find! Next time I hook up I'll test this software, too.

Here are some ideas for the e-mail:

Logging to file.

Send links to ECUFlash, ROMRaider, and this thread. Information sharing is good. Might lead to...

ROM download and flash for permanent settings adjustment.

The dev just has the full specks on SSM (or figured them out), he has not reverse-engineered the TCU to reflash it (the original intent of this thread, and what they did to the ECU). Thus, he can just get to what Subaru offers us without a flash.

The tool he provides is very similar to the VAG-COM tool the VW guys have. That tool can change some things via ODB-II and the VW protocol, but it cant flash or change the way the computers thinks. It's not ECU flash for the other computers in the car, it's closer to a SSMIII without the ability to flash.

Thus, all we're going to get is the same options the 4eat has but with a few more clutches. There isn’t a "shift time" parameter to change, that's more a function of the pressure going to the clutches at time of shift. Thus, increase the line pressure to each clutch, indirectly increase shift time. I think that's about all we're going to get out of this, but it should be a big help.

Romraider support is doable, but we should not push that with the dev. He made a tool for people to use, thus he probably prefers people to use it insted of hacking his stuff into another tool ;). It's open source though, you can open up his definitions files and it shows the SSM lookup command to read those parameters. Translate those into XML and you have RomRaider support. We can do that our selves, I actually have a rough beta on my hoem comptuer.

KY...also when you tell the car to upshift (manual mode), shorten the time when you tell it to upshift to when it upshifts.

That may live in the BIU instead of the TCU. The BIU reads the buttons and transmits the command to the TCU via high-speed CAN.

Edited by utc_pyro

That may live in the BIU instead of the TCU. The BIU reads the buttons and transmits the command to the TCU via high-speed CAN.

BIU? Hmm. Can we scan the CAN to see what commands it sends, and then send our own instead? :-)