LegacyGT.com

odd noise when coasting

i have a really odd sound when i'm just maintaining speed. it gets louder in relation to how little throttle i use. if i have light throttle to stay at 45mph its really loud. but if i give it more gas the sound is less and if i floor it, its just a slight rumble. i'm really stumped as to what issue is. normally sounds get worse with more acceleration not with less. if anybody has any suggestions please let me hear them. thanks

Exhaust in these cars is louder at lower RPM for the most part. It maybe rusted through?

What exactly does the noise sound like? It's hard to diagnose without hearing it unfortunately :/ Does the car shake or anything? Anything funny?

Exhaust in these cars is louder at lower RPM for the most part. It maybe rusted through?

What exactly does the noise sound like? It's hard to diagnose without hearing it unfortunately :/ Does the car shake or anything? Anything funny?

its definitely not exhaust i can feel it shake while driving. it sound like when u stick a baseball card in bike wheels when u were a kid, but more mechanical. and gets louder with less throttle applied and quiets down when u give it more gas.

have you checked the engine while the car was running and had someone push the gas on it?

yeah i've played with the throttle while i was running no noise. its only when the car its actually in gear and driving. and i have heard the ticking from time to time but its way different. i may try to get some audio and throw it up on youtube.

i dont really now all that much about auto trans but is it possible for gears to go out like in a manual? i was thinking maybe the final or OD gear could be going out or something. is there some kinda pressure plate in auto trans that pushes during acceleration or anything like that? its just so odd that i can floor it and the noise gets quieter instead of getting louder. and it doesnt do it at low speed only above 40mph. it even gets way louder if i try to coast at 50 or 60mph.

I think it's just flywheel to torque converter to engine. I believe the torque converter shifts by moving transmission fluid through a fan blade that in turn spins another fan blade through the momentum to seamlessly line them up. I know that first gear in my old auto felt like it shifted really hard and it may be because first gear has the lowest range and a lot of torque and the torque converter may have been going. Not sure. Honestly man, I dont know what it could be. I can ask my friend Brian. He may have some ideas

well some things said that noise like that and the way it is, could be from the TC. where acceleration can mask the noise and would become progressively louder at higher speeds trying to maintain them. but that was on a f-250 truck not a legacy. and another forum for toyotas came up on google and gave the exact opposite basically tha it would get worse with acceleration and while less when trying to maintain speeds. so idk. a TC is a TC to my knowledge they all do the same so i would imagine they work the same.

yeah i know. i'm totally not down to drop 2bills on one from autozone to find out that wasnt it... i was actually thinking of replacing the whole transmission with one from a scrapyard. because this issue def does not seem like an engine malf itself. seems to be limited only to trans and front diff area. with that being said, are there any transmission that i can just full swap w/o fab? preferably something considered an upgrade that can handle more power that i wont have to deal with later if a boost it or swap in a boosted motor?

No clue. Never looked into it. Maybe there were Auto Sport Sedans. I suppose that would be a good way to go if you could find one. Make sure it's definitely not a suspension component before you go dropping money for a new transmission though. Nothing like swapping in a new trans only to find out it's a wheel bearing lol

Archived