LegacyGT.com

whiteline front sway bar issue

skwiggly

Hey all,

Today I installed a Whiteline 22mm adjustable front sway bar. At the same time I also swapped from snows to my new summer shoes: SSR GT-7s 18x8 with Eagle F1s in 235x40.

After I got the bar on, with no issues, I noticed that the front passenger wheel was sticking out about .5" further than the driver's side. Looking at the car straight on from the front, I can see about .5" of rubber, so it looks like it could potentially scrape.

I got the sway bar new, never installed, from a forum member, and it didn't come with the Whiteline lateral lock kit. When I installed, I tried to make sure it was centered, but didn't measure or anything. Is the wheel sticking out being caused by the sway bar being improperly centered? Is that even possible from a sway bar installation?

thanks!

Scott

Well, I found out what was going on when I took the car into Firestone today to have them do the alignment and double-check my sway bar installation for me. Turns out the passenger fender is actually pushed in by that much. I had noticed a little dimple at the top of the fender arch before, but hadn't realized the entire thing was that warped. Off to the body shop I go....

Well, according to this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/attn-whiteline-swaybar-owners-29608.html

they issued the lock kits for FSBs also. Since my tire could potentially hit my fender, I haven't pushed the car hard yet, but I haven't noticed any issues with the bar sliding any more than it should. I did PM Rallitek and they have 22mm collars for about $3.50 ea. At that price couldn't hurt to throw a set on.....

this is not whiteling specific I am guessing correct? Meaning I need these for my perrin as well? In my head I assumed the endlinks would keep the bar from sliding laterally.

I think normally the end links do, and the bar is supposed to slide *some* laterally, just not as much as some people have experienced with the Whiteline bars, hence the need for the locks. No issues for me yet without them. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

My impression is that they are not necessary in all cases, only if you find the bar sliding laterally much more than it should, or actually coming into contact with any other suspension/brake parts.

My front sway bar install still appears to be properly centered, but I am getting occasional clicking sounds from the right, especially when I have the wheel fully turned. I checked the endlink bolt and it was still tight, and no signs of rubbing anywhere, so not sure what's going on....

i just came upon this thread and realized my rear whiteline sways didnt come with the lateral locks while the front did. am i suppose to get one for wait til it moves?

I've never seen the rears come with them. If you are really concerned, you can buy some clamps to go around the bars, or just make some of your own with some rubber tubing and clamps (which is what I've did for the fronts)).

Rear typically doesn't move though.

My impression is that they are not necessary in all cases, only if you find the bar sliding laterally much more than it should, or actually coming into contact with any other suspension/brake parts.

My front sway bar install still appears to be properly centered, but I am getting occasional clicking sounds from the right, especially when I have the wheel fully turned. I checked the endlink bolt and it was still tight, and no signs of rubbing anywhere, so not sure what's going on....

open your hood and make sure your suspension bolts are tight. mine was loose but after tightening the sound went away

I've never seen the rears come with them. If you are really concerned, you can buy some clamps to go around the bars, or just make some of your own with some rubber tubing and clamps (which is what I've did for the fronts)).

Rear typically doesn't move though.

i thought since the front came with it the rear would too i guess the rear is ok since i had no problems yet

• 1 year later...

Zombie thread resurrection! (and slight cross-post, sorry! :) )

I had to warranty my Cobb FSB since it snapped for some reason, but since Cobb no longer manufactures that bar, I had to go with Whiteline instead. It appears the collars were included, but I wanted to be sure I installed this correctly. The collars are to be installed inboard of the bushings, correct? And, no grease should be inside or near the collars themselves, just the bushings?

Please let me know. Thanks!

Zombie thread resurrection! (and slight cross-post, sorry! :) )

I had to warranty my Cobb FSB since it snapped for some reason, but since Cobb no longer manufactures that bar, I had to go with Whiteline instead. It appears the collars were included, but I wanted to be sure I installed this correctly. The collars are to be installed inboard of the bushings, correct? And, no grease should be inside or near the collars themselves, just the bushings?

Please let me know. Thanks!

Second time I've read of a Cobb bar snapping. Any pics? And did you take it up with Cobb?

Archived