LegacyGT.com

Moonroof Mania

I am curious why so many people are gaga for the moonroof option. To me, it is just another potential source of wind noise and rain leaks. So what do you love about the moonroof? What makes it worth the additional $2000?

I have one in my current '97 Legacy GT and it's rather nice when the weather is nice and it can make the ride quieter on full highway speeds with the rear windows open and the moonroof at an approximate open distance. I realy haven't found too much of a problem with it on mine, but considering you have to get leather, power seats and more to get it not including the weight penalty, I'll be more than happy to go without it considering all the things I will be upgrading to in an 8 year newer car. :)

i haven't had a car with a sunroof (as it was called) since i sold my 1970 bmw in 1983. i now want to get the wagon with the huge moonroof for the light. i went to check it out by sitting in a new outback (which was the only new ltd wagon at the nearest dealer). sitting there with the sales guy with the roof closed but the light coming in, i felt like i was outside.

I've had two cars with moonroofs, and hardly used them, because they were too noisy open, and I don't want a stupid wind deflector. My friend's Taurus has a moonroof that is as quiet open as it is when closed, due to a correctly designed built-in air deflector. My other two cars had them too (Accord and Solara), but for some reason, they didn't work. I really only like to open the shade at night, to see the moon, but rarely is the moon over the car, and the roof is too small anyway. So, I won't be getting another car with a moonroof.

Had a moonroof in my wife's MPV for the past 5 years and we've hardly ever used it. It's just an added feature of the Limited package that I really don't plan on using much. If it was a separate option rather than a package, I doubt I would get it.

[quote name='7stars']I've had two cars with moonroofs, and hardly used them, because they were too noisy open, and I don't want a stupid wind deflector. My friend's Taurus has a moonroof that is as quiet open as it is when closed, due to a correctly designed built-in air deflector. My other two cars had them too (Accord and Solara), but for some reason, they didn't work. I really only like to open the shade at night, to see the moon, but rarely is the moon over the car, and the roof is too small anyway. So, I won't be getting another car with a moonroof.[/quote]\ The moonroof in the forester XT is pretty quiet if I remember corectly.

At some point, when I am ready to buy my LGT, I'm hoping I can find someone that really wants a moonroof but no leather. I really want leather but no moonroof. I'd pay that persons some cash, and we'd swap seats and doorcards (assuming, of course, that the power seats of a LGT Ltd. would plug-and-play in a regular LGT).

I used to drive a miata - this was my stepping stone for my WRX wagon - installed a moonroof at the dealer - i like having an open top above. Plus living in SoCal - you gotta take advantage of the sun if you live a great sunny place! SC GT, Just buy the regular GT and get a set of Katzkin Leather seats for your car. Save weight and cost for yourself. Unless you need the power seats too! (thats where most of the weight difference is) BTW, Katzkin's are about $1000 installed here locally. I have them in my WRX with custom colors - awesome quality for the price.

Yes, Katzkins the way to go...don't go with any other brand, as the leather quality can be very cheap. But remember that it'll cost you $450 for installation. I would never recommend doing it yourself. It's a lot of hard work and you may not even get it done right.

I installed Katzkins in my WRX wagon, and I agree that the quality is top notch. However, an OEM swap could be done quicker and (with install costs taken into account) cheaper if a deal could be worked out. It seems there are a number of people who want a moonroof but no leather, or leather but no moonroof. If I could find the right trading partner at the right time, that could work out. But, what'll happen is I'll probably get the reg GT, and Katzkin's if I ever get tired of the cloth.

when you get aftermarket leather installed by the dealer, they don't go the oem route, unless you order the whole seat. the aftermarket leather they install is still cheap. actually, that reminded me of something. if you want leather, just wait for someone to total their car. car-part.com does a state-wide search and they'll have leather seats for like $100-200 ea.

[quote name='7stars']when you get aftermarket leather installed by the dealer, they don't go the oem route, unless you order the whole seat. the aftermarket leather they install is still cheap. actually, that reminded me of something. if you want leather, just wait for someone to total their car. car-part.com does a state-wide search and they'll have leather seats for like $100-200 ea.[/quote] #1 To make it work, you'd need both fronts, the rear, and the door cards. #2 Car-Part.com isn't that cheap. To get all that through them would cost close to $1000, I'm guessing. #3 I don't think I'd want seats from a totaled car. I'd wonder why the side airbags didn't deploy.

I think the real reason why everyone wants one is for the pure size of it! Especially on the wagon! I like the moonroof, but would likely never use it, and in my technical head, it's just extra weight and takes away a bit from the structural integrity of the car.

I paid $950 for it at Irvine Subaru (dealer installed option). It was pretty much at their cost. I saw the Suby Moonroof at SEMA, (extra large one) at Webasto (company that manufactures them - at least a comparable), and it can be retrofitted into a GT wagon if you really want one. I didn't check into pricing at that time unfortunately. Jeremy

Archived