LegacyGT.com

over-heating with no coolant flow

I hav 99 outback, 2.5, 214,000 mil., head gaskets done at 200,000. Heat gauge goes to max temp. after about 2 miles of driving. Temp. drops after, stop, with fan on. Upper hose hot. lower hose, and heater hoses cold. Able to remove radiator cap(cold.) No heat. Flushed radiator, changed thermostat. Water pump? Help! Every mechanic wants to the head gaskets again. No leaks detected, oil ok, exhaust ok.:confused:

What thermostat did you replace it with? If it was not the expensive OEM one from the stealership then it wont work. I have tried NAPA and Carquest thermostats made for my engine and both sucked and just caused overheating. I think the stealership want $17ish for the part and then a couple more bucks for the gasket.

Doesn't sound like you have bad headgaskets, you just have a bad thermostat. Also did you make sure to get all of the air pockets out of the system?

could very well be an air pocket. too many times this has happened, not to call you foolish or anything. but if you don't bleed absolutely every last drop out (figured this out the hard way), it will cause problems. but yep thermostat is a good place to start aftre you make sure the coolant system is bled properly.

Thanks. Will bleed system again, and get thermostat from dealership. But, first I'll test the water pump by running car without thermostat to see if I get coolant flow. Will let you know what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
Problem solved. New thermostat, lower hose, radiator cap, 1 hour coolant bleed. No more temperature spiking. Now I have a radiator leak. Fixed that with leak repair. Will get new radiator if that fails. Tks for help.

When I got my head gaskets replaced last year the dealership replaced every seal, belt, hose, water pump, and also swapped the radiator.

I suspect when the engine's open for the gasket replacement that's the way to go, even if you're DIY.

Archived