LegacyGT.com

Bilstein rear shock orientation

spartan

Hey guys, I just recently installed a set of Spec B Bilstein's on my wagon. After I got done I realized that I didn't really pay attention to how I put them in. So I have two questions: Does it matter which way the rear assembly is put in, and if so which how is it supposed to be on the Bilstein's? Right now the bottom of my spring is facing the outside of the car.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7224/20040101image0005.jpg

Anyone else have input on this? I was wondering as well as I just installed Spec B Rev B take-offs but I think the end of the coil on my rears is currently facing inboard. Guess I need to switch them...

For the springs we just got (H&R Lowering) there aren't specific orientations for each side...but I had a question on the job you just did...

How do you get to the rear strut mounting holes? I can't seem to get to them and there's no place to get at them from the trunk I believe...any ideas?:confused:

How do you get to the rear strut mounting holes? I can't seem to get to them and there's no place to get at them from the trunk I believe...any ideas?:confused:

I'm assuming by your name kaz98gt you drive an older gen Legacy. Not too familiar with that car. The suspension may be similar to the 02 WRX i used to own. In that car you have to remove the back seat to gain access to the shock mounting nuts.

Remove the rear seat. You can see them in there.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 1 month later...
FWIW, I just installed some shims in the rear and tried installing the rear assemblies both ways (end of coil facing inboard and end of coil facing outboard). It didn't seem to matter which way they are oriented once installed as far as I could tell. Mine are currently oriented with the coil end facing the outside of the car as in the photo above.

Archived