LegacyGT.com

1999 Sunroof issues and ticking noise

Mama Sue

I have a 1999 Legacy wagon. I just got the car a couple of weeks ago.

The sunroof will tilt mostly, but will not slide. Sounds like the motor is trying. Driver side actually raises some but passenger side doesn't.

Also get a ticking type noise when I press the accelerator, but only when car is in drive.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong and how to proceed from here?

I'd check to see if the sunroof is still on its slides. I'm not sure about the Subaru, but I know Volvo's have an emergency hand crank to close an open sunroof in case of motor failure. If the Subaru has one, try to use the hand crank. If it doesn't move the sunroof has either fallen off the slides, the motor has failed (Dead spotted), or the slide has seized.

We're going to need some more info on the ticking. You said it only happens in drive, but what if you revved the engine in park or neutral? Does it make the same noise in reverse? Does it make the noise at a stop (Example: Press the brakes and the gas at the same time in drive so that the car doesn't move. Does it make the noise?) Does it make the noise only when turning?

The ticking could be a wheel bearing. It doesn't sound like a CV shaft at all since it doesn't happen while turning from a dead stop. It also doesn't sound like anything to do with the valve train, since it only happens in drive with the car moving. Finally, it doesn't sound like an exhaust leak because it doesn't make the noise at idle or when the car isn't moving.

And I should correct my first post: If the hand crank (Assuming this car even has one) doesn't move the sunroof at all then the motor is still good. If the sunroof didn't operate under power, but worked with the hand crank that would be a sign of either a motor failure, wiring issue, or a blown fuse. I'd start with the fuse since its easiest to diagnose. You never want to go replacing or tearing into the big stuff until you check the little stuff first. From what you're saying, however, it sounds like the motor is trying to move the sunroof so we can probably rule out anything electrical.

Archived