LegacyGT.com

Pothole at 90mph = 1 blown Potenza - ADVICE?

voyetra8

I am cruising down the NJ turnpike on my way back to Boston yesterday when I decide to pass a slowpoke in the right lane....

So I cross the centerline into left lane, and when I am coming back into the right lane when the front passenger-side wheel catches a pothole.

BAM!

The wheel jerks, the car hops, and I shit myself.

I let off the gas, and reduce my speed, pulling over to find a huge gash in the sidewall, along with a nice mark on the rim. (I could stick THREE fingers into the damn thing, and could see the sidewall belts!)

Frankly, I am amazed that it didn't blow completely. Phew!

THAT SAID: I am in the market for some new tires.

Part of me wants these Potenzas gone. Part of me doesn't want to spend $600 on new tires. Ugh.

Pirellis? Proxes? Which? Why? Blah.

HELP ME OBI WAN!

That was you that passed me?? JK. Had a quick brain tremor and thought maybe you could go to wheel tire thread and ask all who has some for sale. A lot of people seem to trash these tires(the stock potenzas)-see if they'll part with them. If you find someone local I may want to buy one myself (curb gash)

This is not my beautiful car.

Bummer Dude,

If you replace the tire with an RE92, then you've just spent money for a crappy tire. If you have many miles on the other 3 tires, then then new tire will be a larger circumference and could be bad for the AWD system. I think the spec is 0.25 inch difference in circumferance.

I had something similiar happen- caught the sidewall on a sewer drain when parallel parking- nicked the sidewall. I had almost 10K miles on, so I decided to sheite kan the batch and ordered some Proxes 4 online.

I would go with the Proxes 4 or Nero Pzeros IMO. Better tire etc.

Check your rim carefully and the alignment all the way around as well.

good luck

Bummer Dude,

I would go with the Proxes 4 or Nero Pzeros IMO. Better tire etc.

Check your rim carefully and the alignment all the way around as well.

Any reason to go with one over the other? I imagine I'd be happy with either.

How do I check to make sure the rim isn't bent? Is this something that is painfully obvious, or will it require the shop to spin it?

First off you should check into getting comped for that tire from the city. I know my city will pay for tires since they are responsible for the roads. (there is a loophole someone else had to call in about that tire before you hit it..) It is worth a shot. I hit a pothole and blew mine out and blew my shock out as well. (hint check yours when the wheel is off. Looks for grease etc...) I just sold my 3 good ones back to Subaru Dealership and bought Proxes 4s. Have been really happy since.

Bring it to the shop to see if it's bent. I would get another alignment too. Something similar happened to my VR4 a month ago, except I had 2 tires egg on me and the alignment was way off... to drive straight I had to steer left. :D

Since then i've inflated my 225/45/17's to 40psi to better compensate for the bad roads here.

after going on the cross bronx expressway yesterday i decided to rethink getting 18" rims.

What does it matter when you can't travel above 2mph?

(Can you tell I sat on it for TWO HOURS on Friday?)

THE C.B.E. CAN BITE MY BALLS!

Archived