LegacyGT.com

1995 Subaru failed emissions HC

Gbrown

Hello everyone. My 1995 2.2L just failed emissions. Looks like I've got a lean misfire. The car feels like it's loping a tiny bit. I don't get any error codes on my OBD2 but the yellow emisions light is on. In your opinion, where do you think I should start. I'd like to narrow it down before I take it to a tech.

Thanks in advance

Yellow emissions light? I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

If its running lean, you may want to clean intake parts, especially the MAF, replace the plugs, wires, air filter.

Clean the MAF like Bdubs suggested. Plugs and wires are another rather inexpensive maintenance item that should never be neglected. After that I'd look into O2 sensors. The thing with O2 sensors is when they start to go bad they generally cause a car to run more on the rich side, not lean. Its still worth it to replace them though, these are some of the most commonly neglected maintenance parts on vehicles.

And the lopey idle is just the way the EJ22 likes to run. Cleaning or replacing the IAC solenoid will take care of that. If all else fails, find a buddy with an OBDII reader and have him clear the codes, then try for the sticker again.

Just for S&G's... This car doesn't have a cone air filter, a K&N air filter, or some other oil type filter does it? These filters do increase the intake flow, but the oil can eventually contaminate the MAF sensor and cause it to read the incoming air inaccurately, requiring more frequent MAF cleaning intervals.

The yellow light is part of the emission section of my OBD2 reader. I feel kinda dumb but what is the MAF? I think I will change the plugs and wires it's been 3 years this month

Thanks alot!

Greg

Remove it via the 4 bolts that hold it to the airbox and the hose clamp that holds it to the intake hose. Buy some fuel injector cleaner or special MAF cleaner and spray the inside and outside of the MAF. The inside is the important stuff. Don't worry about drying it off, the cleaning solvent will have evaporated by the time you find a rag anyway. Reinstall and see how it works.

Thanks I'll give it a try. Changed plugs and wires tested the vacuum on the egr and voltage to the egr everything check out, still have the yellow emissions light and the other blinking monitor lights on the OBD2. Just for s&g I connected it to my chevy and the OBD2 tested fine. Disconnected various sensors on the Suby and got DTCs. I thought that maybe the OBD2 might be faulty but...

The ODB2 has been pretty good in the past detecting DTC but this one apparently this ones migth require a little fuzzy thinking.

I'll keep you posted, thanks again.

G

Well I hate to say it $$$ but looks like the cat is done, along with o2 sensors. I did a drive test with my OBD2 connected and all my monitoring lcd's went into a steady state except for the 'C' monitor (along with the yellow emissions light on the OBD2) I had saved a page of trouble codes a long time ago from the internet and the DTC was one that indicates a cat issue. I've been trying to remember if I didn't clear it and that was my only chance to get the code. Seems like it would've kept throwing the error code. Oh well.

Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it.

G

Archived