LegacyGT.com

SoCal Fun Run Final Information

SBT

PM'd you all with my cell phone number for the run tomorrow! Route Map Attached

For all

Went out yesterday (Saturday 4/9) with the intent of checking out several things about the fun run. Made the complete loop from San Diego to Idyllwild and back on less than a tank of gas. Over 330 miles and 23 mpg. 160 miles of that was just getting up to Temecula and back. Also confirmed several things while we were out:

1) Where to kick off the fun run.

2) Itinerary timelines, lunch, photo and video shoot locations

3) The mountain passes are open and the roads should be good and dry

4) Identified some good-to-know things and created a list of things you will probably want to have with you

Fun Run Information

1. Kick Off Point

Given the number of owner's cars, Norm Reeves (on Ynez Rd) will not be nearly big enough. So, we'll meet in the Promenade (Shopping Mall on Ynez Rd very close to Norm Reeves) on the left as you head south on Ynez or right as you head north on Ynez.

Directions:

From the North

• Exit I-15 at the WINCHESTER ROAD ramp and cross back over I-15 heading East
  • Turn right onto YNEZ ROAD
  • Turn left onto OVERLAND DRIVE
  • Turn left onto PROMENADE, travel about 250 feet
  • Turn right up the slight incline at the large mall sign marked "Bel Villagio"
  • Rally Point One will be in the empty parking lot on the left at the top of the incline

From the South

• Exit I-15 at the RANCHO CALIFORNIA ROAD ramp and head East
  • Turn left onto YNEZ ROAD
  • Turn right onto OVERLAND DRIVE
  • Turn left onto PROMENADE
  • Turn right up the slight incline at the large mall sign marked "Bel Villagio"
  • Rally Point One will be in the empty parking lot on the left at the top of the incline

Note to first arrivers - Please back your cars into the parking spaces furthest from the access road so others arriving after you can pull in easily. Let's try to keep the cars all heading in the same direction as much as possible in each line.

2. Check-in/Departure times (The Itinerary)

• 9:00 AM - Check-in at Rally Point One (see location above), coffee, JambaJuice and Marie Calendar's are all very close if you'd like breakfast
  • 9:15 -1015 - Owner's showcase/demos, etc.
  • 9:45 AM - Photo/Video Shoot (Lineup and individual shots)
  • 10:25 AM - Radio check (we'll travel on channel 8, alternative channel 17)
  • 10:30 AM - Depart for Rally Point Two - Palm Desert (I-15N, I-215N, Hwy 60E, I-10E, Monterey Ave Exit)
  • 11:15 AM - Stop/pull off for lunch in Palm Desert (Immediate corner of I-10 and Monterey Ave) - Multiple food outlets for your dining pleasure
  • 12:15 PM - Depart for Rally Point Three and Idyllwild (Monterey Ave to CA-74 Pines to Palms Highway)
  • 12:30 PM - Rally Point Three - Line up on the grade heading up Pines to Palms Highay for video shoot
  • 1:30 PM - Arrive Rally Point Four - Idyllwild (CA-74 to CA-243 - parking TBD but suggest along the northern side of the loop in front of the Idyllwild Inn
  • 1:30-2:30 PM - Stop in Idyllwild for a soda/snack/potty break and group photos/video shots
  • 2:30 PM - Depart for Rally Point Five (Anza via CA-243, CA-74, CA-371)
  • 2:30-3:30 PM Return to Temecula (CA-371, CA-79)

3. Good-to-know things / check off list of things to do/bring

Good to know

• Temperatures were about 65 degrees in Palm Desert and about 55 degrees (and dropping) in Idyllwild - plan your clothes accordingly
  • Fill up before you leave Temecula - gas prices were $2.989 in Palm Desert and $3.039 in Idyllwild - both Shell gasoline 91 Octane
  • Expect sweeping and decreasing radius turns and adjust your tire pressures accordingly. I ran 38F/36R on the RE92s and they handled very well
  • Motorcyles will probably abound. Watch for them
  • Lash things down that you don't want moving around

List of things to bring/check (in my order of importance)

• Check your air pressures, fluids - oil, water, and windshield washer before you leave home, bring towels and cleaner along to clean your windshield - bugs are out in force - and none of them will have the guts again to do what they do to your windshield
  • Wallet, license, registration, insurance, etc.
  • Bring water (couple of sport bottles)
  • Sunglasses
  • Two-way radio (I use a Motorola T7200 but Uniden, Motorola, Cobra - all have similar items and you can find them at Walmart, REI, Target, etc. for ~$15.00 for 1, $25.00 for 2 and up in price)
  • Warm clothes (for the mountain - shouldn't require "winter" clothes, just a heavier jacket or sweather)
  • $20-$30 for lunch incidentals
  • Snacks for the road (if you want)
  • First aid kit (small, portable)
  • Camera - you'll want to take pictures of the group and the desert/mountain vistas
  • Binoculars (if you have them, bring them along)
  • Tow strap - Don't worry if you don't have one (it's always good to carry one)
  • GPS - if you want to capture the track/waypoints

If I think of anything else, I'll add it in or post it up. PM me if you need more information or email me at Subiesan@hotmail.com

SBT

358927018_FunRunRouteEdited.jpg.cbffab825e20e48b7ce6bf3dc674321e.jpg

95256884_PromenadeRallyPointEdited.jpg.1c2f57e53944e16db0817cea6d7bc454.jpg

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Hey Ben,

We'll be heading back to Temecula from Idyllwild via Anza instead of Hemet. That's just too much stop and go traffic for my taste, particularly for that many cars. I'll update the map on my other machine, taking out the hump up through Hemet, and then re-post the map pic

Thanks for the reminder.

SBT

Very, Very Good Job! thanks for taking the time to put this all together.

I will probably be meeting you guys at the I-10 palm desert 11:15 check point. It's about 2:00 am when I get home from playing in the band on a friday night. I'm also playing again on saturday night so I will need all the sleep I can get before I head out saturday morning.

D - Sorry I missed out on your dry run Saturday. You've done a fabulous job here, more than anyone could've expected.

So looking fwd to Saturday. praying for beautiful weather. hopefully, this is just the first instance of what might become a once or twice yearly event - if not more often!

D - Sorry I missed out on your dry run Saturday. You've done a fabulous job here, more than anyone could've expected.

So looking fwd to Saturday. praying for beautiful weather. hopefully, this is just the first instance of what might become a once or twice yearly event - if not more often!

Kevin,

Sorry we missed you too. The dry run was a lot of fun, and the roads are in really good shape.

Food looks like it should be abundant and relatively easy to get to too, at least down on the desert floor. That was a major concern in my mind, so the dry run helped to clear that up.

The flowers and the mountains are absolutely beautiful right now. The drive this past Saturday, with the big puffy clouds, the verdant green hills and mountain pastures, and the azure blue sky, was about as good as it gets visually.

I'm starting to craft a Driver's Orientation pre-read handout just so we're all on the same page before we launch. Any thoughts on that from the fun run crew, or good examples, are appreciated.

BTW - do we need to let your connection at Norm Reeves know that we're not meeting at Norm Reeves due to the limited rally point space available? If you could let them know where we'll be meeting, I'd appreciate it. Also, it would be great if they want to come over and visit while we're forming up. It's only about two blocks North and North East of where they're located.

Weather forecast looks very promising.

Temecula - Sunny. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the upper 40s.

Palm Desert - Abundant sunshine. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the upper 50s

Idyllwild - Sunny. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the low 40s.

Overall, looks to be a great weekend for a fun run :woowoo: . Pass the word.

SBT

sashin,

I assure you, that you can't miss the Promenade Mall. It's at the intersection of Winchester Blvd and Ynez Rd. Exit Winchester off I-15 and go East. You will see a gigantic mall about 1/4-mile on Winchester. I believe the rally point is on the West end. That's the side along Ynez.

sashin,

If you turn on Winchester (coming south on the I-15) and cross back over the 15, the next street is Ynez. Ynez and Winchester form the Northwest corner of the Promenade mall. It's a large mall with a bunch of stores and restaurants.

Turn right on Ynez, and get in the left lane. The next street will be Overland and you'll turn left there.

Go about a 1/2 block and turn left on Promenade (It's not on any maps that I've found).

After you turn into the mall (on Promenade) about 250 feet further on Promenade, you'll see a sign that says "Bel Villagio". It's a large, stucco sign, about 10' x 6', that sits on the ground at the corner of Promenade and the driveway on the right that you want to take.

This driveway slopes uphill slightly for about 100 feet and then flattens out. Immediately on the left, after it flattens, is where we'll all meet.

Hope that helps.

SBT

for those planning to attend, this spot in the Promenade Mall is basically behind the huge Costco center at the corner of Ynez & Overland. like Subie said, turn right (south) on Ynez and then go a few lights. Turn left (east) on Overland. The big Guidant building is on the opposite corner of the Costco center. Promenade road is the first light (left turn) once you turn east onto Overland.

for those planning to attend, this spot in the Promenade Mall is basically behind the huge Costco center at the corner of Ynez & Overland. like Subie said, turn right (south) on Ynez and then go a few lights. Turn left (east) on Overland. The big Guidant building is on the opposite corner of the Costco center. Promenade road is the first light (left turn) once you turn east onto Overland.

thanks guys, we have 3 cars commuting from the OC/LA area. see ya there! :cool:

Looking forward to the run. I'll be bringing the Boostjunkette along with me :D . We should be able to hang for the duration of the scheduled event, but will have to bail soon thereafter as we have tickets to a show in LA in the evening. See you guys soon!

haha...BoostJunkette! haha, you should have shirts made up!!

for the sake of asking, could we hook her up with a name tag too??

(Jodee aka BoostJunkette)...

i think that one may stick Paul!!

See you guys saturday!

~Sucka-Duck~

haha...BoostJunkette! haha, you should have shirts made up!!

for the sake of asking, could we hook her up with a name tag too??

(Jodee aka BoostJunkette)...

i think that one may stick Paul!!

See you guys saturday!

You coming? No Mammoth boarding with the bastard factory?

Archived