LegacyGT.com

Help me understand clutch

dr_sharp

So I purchased an STi flywheel and pressure plate from a member here. What else do I need to bolt this onto my 6spd? This is probably the one part of a car that I know the least about. I'm sorry I know this is going to be painful and I have my full flame suit on :lol:
lol

to put it simply, you need:

flywheel (resurfaced if used)

clutch

pressure plate(should be new)

pilot and through out bearing

alignment tool

that's it, and use the alignment tool to hold everything in place while you bolt it on the engine/flywheel (i'm assuming you can look up the steps via service manual to install a new flywheel and clutch assembly)

to put it simply, you need:

flywheel (resurfaced if used)

clutch

pressure plate(should be new)

pilot and through out bearing

alignment tool

that's it, and use the alignment tool to hold everything in place while you bolt it on the engine/flywheel (i'm assuming you can look up the steps via service manual to install a new flywheel and clutch assembly)

So is 3k miles considered new?

lol

pressure plate & flywheel

to be honest i've always been under the philosophy that a new clutch will get a new pressure plate, bearings, and at minimum reserficed flywheel...now granted with only 3 grand on those two items, i can't see much hurt in just putting it all together, but without the history of abuse the flywheel and pressure plate had during those 3 thousand miles, i can't say for sure

It seems like the bearings and clutch disc would be the only items that could really get damaged in 3k miles... which are the items that I'm buying new. I can get the flywheel resurfaced without much issue... how would the pressure plate wear down with mileage?
lol

It seems like the bearings and clutch disc would be the only items that could really get damaged in 3k miles... which are the items that I'm buying new. I can get the flywheel resurfaced without much issue... how would the pressure plate wear down with mileage?

Doc, can you post some pics of the surface of the flywheel / clutch so those in the know (NOT ME) can chime in? I bet someone has seen a couple.

this is true, and like i said i highly doubt that the flywheel or pressure plate is damaged or in need of resurfacing (in the case of the flywheel)...to answer your question about the pressure plate, it has a metal surface similar to a flywheel, and just like a flywheel, it too can be hot spotted and have the same wear patterns...but in 3 thousand miles, it is highly unlikely to have been damaged at all...but like i said before i'm pretty anal about that kind of stuff since i'm so hard on my vehicles (it is more or less just to allow me to sleep better at night, thats all)

this is true, and like i said i highly doubt that the flywheel or pressure plate is damaged or in need of resurfacing (in the case of the flywheel)...to answer your question about the pressure plate, it has a metal surface similar to a flywheel, and just like a flywheel, it too can be hot spotted and have the same wear patterns...but in 3 thousand miles, it is highly unlikely to have been damaged at all...but like i said before i'm pretty anal about that kind of stuff since i'm so hard on my vehicles (it is more or less just to allow me to sleep better at night, thats all)

I gotcha. Thanks for the info. Let me snap some pictures of the flywheel/pressureplate. I picked up the new throwout bearing and clutch disc from the dealer this week.

lol

maybe if I bump the thread it will help you remember?

It really doesn't matter at this point; what's done is done and if the flywheel needs resurfaced then whoever installs the clutch will resurface it. As I said the clutch disk and bearings are new from the dealer. The only thing in question really is the pressure plate which I feel is fine.

lol

Archived