LegacyGT.com

Play in front axles

Hey guys,

I had my 97 lgt in the air doing an oil change. I have had a strange metallic rattle coming from in front of the steering wheel somewhere, I think near the steering rack and front axles. While it was in the air I went around shaking all the parts I thought could make noise. All I found was a little play in each axle, right where it comes out of the transmission. It moves back and forth, maybe 1/8" on each side. Is this normal for our cars? If anyone is going to have their lgt in the air in the next day or two and could check theirs, that would be great!

if it's lateral (in and out in relation to the transmission), that's not good. there should be a pin binding the halfshaft to the spline of the transmission so as to not allow that movement in and out. if it moves, check the hole that should be in the shaft to see if there's a pin. if there isn't, or there isn't a hole, you need a new shaft. subaru is the only car I know that has a pin setup for connecting halfshafts to the transmission, but I'd imagine it's for minimizing that kind of play.

hmm...if that pin sheared, there was some tremendous lateral stress on that axle. any rock crawling recently? :D

If that pin is beat, just pop it out and put in a new one. no need to pull the whole axle and examine it; just check the boots, shaft, etc. If it doesn't drive better once you swap pins, then you gotta tear down the system.

Right on, I'll look into it after class today. The axle seal is seeping just a bit, so if I need to tear down the whole thing I'll do that too.

Is this the part I need? Thanks!

http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/W01331643567EMP.JPG

Yep that looks about right. be absolutely sure that the axle is in the right spot because once you hit the pin part of the way in and realize it's not lined up, it's a bitch to get out. experience sucks, but glad I can help :)

So the pin is still there, but it looks like it might not be in right. Its not centered in the axle, and looks to be a little crushed. Could that be enough to cause it? What else could cause play in that part?

You know thanks to you guys I found out I'm missing a damn driver side axle pin. WTH do I get oneat? I've already did 2 Auto-X events for the season so far without a pin and I'm surprised nothing happened yet.:cool: The axle moves back and forth from trans to hub about half an inch or so.

wow you've gotten off really really lucky! I'd imagine driving with that play puts stress on the tranny/diff with the differences in length; maybe I don't know the mechanics behind it too much, but that gap has got to go. good luck, glad you caught it!

Also known as a spring pin. I got mine at the dealer as well. FWIW, the spring pin I got from the dealer seemed to be higher quality than the pin that came with my new axle.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Archived