LegacyGT.com

Auto with sportshift

I would highly recommend NOT buying one of these, if you're mainly wanting to manually shift your car. These things I found out are just a novelty, because repeated usage at high RPM's overheats it, which will probably shorten the life of your tranny, unless it's a bulletproof one like in the IS300. I drove the auto GT and noticed it shifted very slowly. Not my idea of fun. If you only plan to use the feature once a week or so, go ahead and buy one. If you're looking to shift every day, get a manual.

:roll: :cry: :?: 7stars wrote "I drove the auto GT and noticed it shifted very slowly. Not my idea of fun." Really? That's interesting. I drove one just over a week ago and couldn't get enough of the thing. :D I agree that it seems stupid to race the thing out daily though. That would kill the life of your tranny, in any car.

"I would highly recommend NOT buying one of these, if you're mainly wanting to manually shift your car." Isn't that why people get manual transmissions? I think SportShift is a great solution for people who want some level of control on occasion. From everything I've read, it's a pretty good system compared to what's out on the market. Ken

I think it depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a manual tranny, yes, the sportshift will be disapointing on many fronts. It's just not the same level of involvement. If you are looking for an automatic transmission that you can shift with steering wheel buttons or forward/backward taps on the shifter in sport mode, I have heard only good things about Subaru's offering.

The first time I even heard about the new Legacy was, I believe, a C&D article where they commented and drove the JDM 2.0 turbo. That article referenced something like “repeated” overheating of the 5-speed auto transmission.

[quote name='SoldonSubie']The first time I even heard about the new Legacy was, I believe, a C&D article where they commented and drove the JDM 2.0 turbo. That article referenced something like “repeated” overheating of the 5-speed auto transmission.[/quote] That was on a the test track last year when the cars had just been released. I have had this problem, but when using the sportshift to overtake as speed up a rather steep road in the hills.

It sounds a buzzer and in the gear indicator on the dash there is a '_' - well I assume that was what the problem was. It was rather steep on the way up , and the way back with a full load I managed to get the breaks up to a rather uncomfortable temp.

Archived