LegacyGT.com

Key to great Mileage

As a corollary to my obsession with the mpg displays, I've found a way that, without exception, will give you great gas milage. Always decelerate.

There are a couple techniques that I've tried, such as decelerating slowly, decelerating at a medium rate, or out and out foot completely off the throttle:eek:. Coasting also works. The main thing is to avoid accelerating at all costs.

Try it out, I think you'll find it works. Of course, YMMV...:D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The key to great mileage is drafting. In cycling, by drafting behind another rider, you can save up to 20% energy to maintain the same speed. Same thing with a car. Find the biggest vehicle on the road and get behind it. Semi's are good to draft off of and you know they can't out brake you.

Besides that, short shift all the time and keep the rpm's down.

Key to great Mileage:

- sell off the Legacy

- trade it for a Prius

- take it off the road and don't drive it

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i concur

Bike! Twice the mileage, twice as quick!

but not weather proof

One thing that really annoys me is the varying prices of gas stations within a few miles of each other. Sometimes these stations vary by as much as 10 or 15 cents (sometimes more).

Rembmer guys, shop around for your gas. Gas stations will charge more if they can get it. If they raise their prices and they still get the same business, they will keep doing so. If they raise the price and people don't shop there, they will lower their prices to get the business back. True, a fill up might only be a few dollar difference, but over a month/year, it really adds up (especially if you drive a good bit). Gas is gas...it comes from the same refineries. We need to keep these oil barons and their price wars under control. True, we can't control the price of crude oil, but shopping around for gas does help in a diffeent way.

I shop around now and I have been saving between 2 and 3 dollars a fill up by shopping at a different gas station. :)

End rant... :D

-S

Rember guys, shop around for your gas.

What? And burn up more fuel??

Gas is gas...it comes from the same refineries.

Well now you've gone and ruined it for me! I suppose next you're gonna tell me that the tooth fairy is'nt real either?

Gas is gas...it comes from the same refineries.

Yes and No. Gas comes from the same source, and each respective company (shell,exxon,etc) all buy from the same sources.

The difference is once it gets to the companies individual refineries, the individual additive packages are added, and the mix is calculated for that day depending on season & weather. This is what is shipepd to the individual gas stations.

Well now you've gone and ruined it for me! I suppose next you're gonna tell me that the tooth fairy is'nt real either?

Uh..who the hell only has 1 gas station on their way to work!! If you have to drive an extra 1/4 mile to get gas a whole lot cheaper, why wouldn't you? Thinking like this is why gas stations charge what they do! Geez! :rolleyes:

As for your tooth fairy comment...you would be surprised what people think when it comes to gasoline!!!

Yes and No. Gas comes from the same source, and each respective company (shell,exxon,etc) all buy from the same sources.

The difference is once it gets to the companies individual refineries, the individual additive packages are added, and the mix is calculated for that day depending on season & weather. This is what is shipepd to the individual gas stations.

Good point! But, do you think Exxon is better than Shell, or Citgo or BP? I honestly don't know. For me, I can get Costco gas for 20-25 cents cheaper than the Exxon or Shell stations on the way to work. I use to get Mobil gas, but that station's price went through the roof.

Are brand names worth it? Am I shooting my self in the foot using Costco gas over Mobil (or other brand names)?

-S

I have absolutely no idea.

I have been trying to use shell v-power in my car almost exlusively. When I have a choice, thats what i get. Also helped is the fact that its usually he cheapest. it takes at least a $0.10 difference for me to choose one station over another.

I have also filled up w/ wawa 93, and other various stations version of 93..

I am pretty sure that my MPG has been the same... its just my foot that determines my gas milage. I have been getting 20-21 lately.

I think my car is just about broke in. :) I am getting 24 mpg driving regularly and on my trip to Louisville Sat, I got 28.5mpg :)

Me too!! I went from 19-21mpg. to a steady 22.5-23mpg after turning 7k!! Not as great as yours, but I'll take it.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I've found the best way to get good gas mileage is to keep the gas mileage display up on the computer (versus dte, temp, etc.). It keeps you looking at it, and trying to get the number higher!

I've actually been playing around with it a bit. I got it right on the edge of 21.3 and 21.6 (it goes in 0.3mpg increments). As soon as it hits 21.6 I'll hit full boost, and it'll drop to 21.3. I'll then see how long of normal (sub 3K rpms) driving it takes to get back to 21.6. It's not good - one run of high rpms takes several miles of granny driving to get it back up.

i was reading up in the user's manual about oil viscosity. apparently 5W-30 oil is preferred to put in the engine, but it said that 10W-30 can be substituted for better mileage

Note* the manual notes if you live in hot climates, or drive on dirt or dusty roads a lot you might need the higher viscosity 5W-30. Bein from jersey i dont really ahve to worry about that stuff, but post ur thoughts on this plz.

Originally Posted by Slickvic

Uh..who the hell only has 1 gas station on their way to work!! If you have to drive an extra 1/4 mile to get gas a whole lot cheaper, why wouldn't you? Thinking like this is why gas stations charge what they do! Geez! :rolleyes:

Um, that was sarcastic humor. I goofed by not putting a smily next to my comment. My appologies if anyone thought I was actually serious.

Note* the manual notes if you live in hot climates, or drive on dirt or dusty roads a lot you might need the higher viscosity 5W-30. Bein from jersey i dont really ahve to worry about that stuff, but post ur thoughts on this plz.

I think you misread, 10W-30 is the higher viscosity oil and is the one recommended for the conditions listed.

This car talk piece was good information.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

My car had 3000 miles on it when purchased. I zeroed out one odometer up until about 15,000 miles and didn't "try" to do anything special to save gas etcetera. Car was broken in and sometimes I drove hard, sometimes not. It averaged 20.1 for those 12,000 miles. It would always get 22-24 for highway trips.

It seemed as though there was some kind of "breakthrough" this past friday on a 375 mile round trip (mostly highway). I averaged like 25-26 miles per gallon without trying too hard, then I was wondering if it was because I didn't have it in sport-mode, the weather, somethings wrong, yadda yadda or if it is another "level" of break in?

Either way, It does seem like that this car will average , drafting or no drafting, stick or auto,in the mid twenties and yes I obsess between the a&b mileage readings-can't seem to help it.

This is not my beautiful car.

I think my car is just about broke in. :) I am getting 24 mpg driving regularly and on my trip to Louisville Sat, I got 28.5mpg :)

son of a bitch!

i have 13300 miles and still only get around 21mpg, and that's pretty much keeping it below 3k and the vast majority of the miles being highway :(

The trick isn't so much RPM as it is low % throttle. If you mash the pedal down quickly and hard to get to your desired speed it will use more gas. I spend 80% of my time in the city in 5th gear. I don't have a tremendous amt of pickup unless I Downshift but there is your best mileage..5-10% throttle will piss off everyone behind you but give you best gas mileage. Jack rabbit starts = lower mileage :) Also leave it in gear and coast down hills it will pick your mileage up considerably. If you take it out of gear to coast the AFRs go back to 14.7 to 1 and drop your mileage.

Archived