LegacyGT.com

Faint humming noise when you turn the car on but it's not running

Car in question is a 2009 Outback 2.5i 4eat, 8000 miles, making its way to a third oil change. Yesterday when changing the low beam bulbs to some Philips X-treme Power +80 H7 I heard a slight humming noise.

This happens when you turn the key to position 1 or 2, the slight humming begins to be audible. I'm sure it's there as well with the engine running but you can't hear it. Car drives fine it's just weird to hear.

So with the key in position 1 or 2 you hear it, more so with the hood propped open. When you turn off the car with the key, the humming doesn't stop instantly, it just quiets down and dies out.

Any ideas?

i think it's the fuel pump priming, it's like a slight buzz that's there for about 1 sec if you stop the key at the ON position before starting

Definitely NOT that. The fuel pump priming sound does happen and goes away. Sounds exactly as in my Saabaru.

This humming noise still goes on after the pump's primed.

its totally normal and i think its comming from the throttle body. Try hitting the gas pedal abit. The sound should change a bit and you can hear the motor turning the throttle plate, changing the frequency of the buzzing sound.

its totally normal and i think its comming from the throttle body. Try hitting the gas pedal abit. The sound should change a bit and you can hear the motor turning the throttle plate, changing the frequency of the buzzing sound.

Tapping the gas achieves nothing. The humming sound is still there. And now something new arises but that's due to the gas pedal. You hear something opening.

you recently disconnect the battery (both terminals?)

Nope.

Just installed new bulbs, which included taking off the windshield fluid filling neck on the driver's side and moving the airbox duct on the passenger side. The car was off then, the key NOT in the ignition.

The car starts, drives, and sounds normal. It's just weird to hear when in ignition position 1 or 2, but when are you really in that position for long? :lol:

i heard this sound when installing my HID's at first i thought it was the ballast making the noise but then realised the lights were not on. im assuming its normal i would not worry about it

I have heard this noise is something to do with the transmission or driveline it really makes some odd noises if you shift through the gears on the auto with key on engine off. My legacy and forester both do this it is normal.

radiator fan?

The sound is more towards the air box and throttle body than the front.

I just get paranoid at new sounds discovered, the same with the Saabaru. But it's what makes them a Subaru. :wub:

ah i just realized you have a saabaru, heh some one that knows what the car is.. i see them all over the place and they are beat to hell - they have no idea what they have..

nice car!

Thanks!!!

The Outback is my dad's. The Saabaru mine. :wub:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/eurospek/DSCF2600.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I mentioned the FPR because there was a TSB on the 05s T-models (GT and XT) - possible that it has migrated to the end-of-model-line run.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived