LegacyGT.com

winch mount locations and ideas

ha. there were no similar threads at all..

about 3 days ago i got the chance to pick up a 2500 lb winch for 25 bucks.

you probably asking why i would want that....well it adds to my rally car.. and now if i get stuck i dont have to call my dad....and i hate explaining to my parents way i got stuck 1/2 mile down a low maintenance road in mud up to the door jams and a missing inner fender and mud caked 3inches up into the lower grill...... not that its ever happened but you know just in case.

so where would you mount yours... front or back. hidden or just plain out in the open.

i had been thinking this for the past day.. get some simple I beams to strengthen the mount location and mount it up below the rear bumper. have not looked at it yet but i think i remember what it looks like up in there.

I have mine on the front bumper...

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/IMG_0424.jpg

Don't even bother installing that 2500lb winch on your Subaru; its meant for an ATV. Winches are normally sized for a minimum of one and a half times the weight of the vehicle it's meant to recover. My Jeep weighs about 4500lb and that's an 8000lb winch on the bumper.

I don't know the weight of these cars offhand, but I'm sure its more than 2500lb. That means on flat pavement the winch couldn't pull the car. And when you're stuck the car essentially weighs more because whatever you're stuck on / in is pushing back.

^^ I weight less than 150lbs and I can push cars around the shop all day long. A 2500lb winch is more than capable of moving it on flat ground. Stuck in mud is a different story though.

Put a tow hitch on the rear and front. Get a receiver mount for the winch. Done.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

^^ I weight less than 150lbs and I can push cars around the shop all day long. A 2500lb winch is more than capable of moving it on flat ground. Stuck in mud is a different story though.

That is absolutely correct. Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote my post.

A 2500 lb winch is still too small for the PO's car. They are made for ATVs. A 6000lb winch would be appropriate for a Subaru.

But a cheap winch is better than no winch. Worst that can happen is he overheats and frys the winch.

Get some extra cable and a few pulley blocks... that'll take care of the power problem

Worst that can happen is the cable that isn't rated for the amount of force he's going to put on it, especially using a snatch block, snaps and kills someone.

Get a recovery strap (not a tow strap - loops on both ends, no metal hooks and made to stretch and snap back) and a couple of shackles and never wheel alone.

That one is worth repeating, NEVER WHEEL ALONE. Go browse the offroad forums and read all the horror stories of people who have gone wheeling alone, got stuck, spent hours trying to dig / winch / etc themselves out, finally decided to go home and come back the next day with a buddy and another truck, and then came back to find their vehicle stripped, destroyed, stolen, etc.

i figured this... cause a lot of the winches that are 2000 lb often say atv winch... now the number.. 2000lb.. this means what in the real world..... it can lift 2000 pounds straight up? a true 2000 lb load against gravity. and thanks for the input... i be sure to not buy it.

Have any idea of the force needed to pull a vehicle out that's stuck in the mud? Good luck with that. I can see you sticking that thing on purpose, just to use that lawn tractor winch hanging on the front bumper.

Just have the video going when your Dad shows up to pull you out. I'd love to see you talk your way out of that situation.

Worst that can happen is the cable that isn't rated for the amount of force he's going to put on it, especially using a snatch block, snaps and kills someone.

Cable is always rated for more than the motor can pull. Using a pulley the cable sees half as much force... cause now there are two cables supporting the same load. The snatch block better be rated for 5,000+ though

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Cable is always rated for more than the motor can pull. Using a pulley the cable sees half as much force... cause now there are two cables supporting the same load. The snatch block better be rated for 5,000+ though

Yet winch cables still snap. And when they do, its extremely violent. Since the POs winch was $25, I'm going to venture a guess that its a Harbor Freight special (or some other crappy knockoff), in which case I definitely wouldn't trust my life to the cable.

Using a snatch block the winch and second anchor point on the vehicle each see half the load, but the cable and the stationary anchor point are still supporting the entire load.

He never said he bought it new. A friend could have given it to him cause it was just taking up space... or he got it at a yard sale or something. It could be a Warn for all you know.

Yes, the cable is supporting the load.... but over two lengths instead of one. Half the load on each length. It's half as likely to snap.

The OP (not PO) asked where to mount the unspecified winch. Not tell me how I'm going to kill myself by obviously overloading the unspecified specs.

If you are snapping cables while using a winch, you either didn't set it properly or your cable is old and worn. It is extremely rare for a cable to snap if it is set properly and in good condition. The cable on that winch is 3/16 minimum. Which gives it a breaking strength of just over 3000lbs. So if the cable is in good condition, he shouldn't be able to break it if he tried.... so longs as the pull is set up correctly.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

If you use a snatch block, you are doubling the effective power of the winch (2:1) however you do NOT halve the force on the cable. Rather, now that you can theoretically pull twice the load, you can actually apply TWICE the force the winch would normally pull. So if you set up with a snatch (double line pull) you need to make sure that everything is capable of supporting TWICE what the winch is rated for.

You might think that doubling the line over means the load is split between the two lines, but remember those two lines are still a SINGLE CABLE and so you have not reduced the total load on the cable - you've simply increased the amount of load you CAN apply to it though, which makes it dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

If you are pulling a cable with 100lbs of force, the cable has 100lbs on it.

Add a pulley.

You still pull with 100lbs. The cable still sees 100lbs. The pulley anchor sees 200lbs.

Am I going to have to draw a picture?

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Ugh... Picture required

Yes, my art skills match that of a 2nd grader

Your drawing is pretty much right, but in the one with the snatch block you should have 100lb on each side of the line and 200lb on the tree saver strap. The whole point of using a snatch block is to double the amount of pulling force on the stuck vehicle, so the assumption is you're maxing out the pulling power of the winch. And in that case, the cable would have 200lb of force on it at the point that's in the snatch block (100lb in each direction).

Ok yeah, sorry, lol, I took statics like two years ago and I was remembering wrong. There was SOMETHING we learned in that class that was counter-intuitive and I could have sworn it was that pulleys DON'T reduce tension for some reason, but thinking about it that doesn't make any sense.

Archived