LegacyGT.com

EFI Logics Tuned | +1 Happy Customer

NeedMoreBoost

I went for a tune at EFI Logics last Thursday and would like to share my experience.

I previously went to a local tuner for and Open Source tune after completing a VF52 swap a little more than a month ago. With the advice from friends and Legacygt.com members, I sourced different tuner because my AFRs were not safe for the car. While Open Source tuned by the previous tuner, my car made decent power but I was clearly warned by many that my tune wasn't safe. The car got ridiculous mileage (about 200mi on a full tank) and I had intermittent raw fuel smell in my car. Mind you, I was getting horrible mileage and babying the car, it never went above 4k RPM because of a lean condition at high RPM. Needless to say I wasn't happy.

I read a lot of positive comments about EFI on this forum and heard positive things about them from a local Subaru nut that lives near me (you know who your are), so I decided to contact them.

While speaking with Chris Schoen-Kiewert, EFI's lead calibrator, he explained to me the ins and outs of tuning similar setups like mine (VF40 Fail to VF52 swap) and the issues with my Open Source tune. I was never rushed off the phone, or given less attention over another customer and my emails were always answered quicker than I expected. Mind you, EFI is only tuning the car, I installed all the parts myself so they aren't making a ton of money by tuning my car. EFI is pretty busy now. The earliest tuning appointment I could get was nearly 3 weeks later. I expressed my concern regarding driving on the crappy Open Source tune and Chris mentioned he would try to get me in sooner. Pete (EFI's Shop Manager) went out his way and verified appointments for me and was able to squeeze me in within a week.

I decided to go pro tuned route over OS. As I was told by many others, it's ultimately the person behind the keyboard tuning the car. I felt that if I can in anyway make the tuning process easier on whomever is tuning the car, I would ultimately get a superior tune. Being able to make live adjustments while tuning is one thing, the other was I would be able to monitor and datalog much easier with a compact solution. I didn't want to install gauges (I like the stock sleeper look) or be constantly monitoring things, I just wanted a safe and fun tune....worry free. Support by a huge Subaru tuner such as Cobb gives me piece of mind also.

After speaking with Chris and Pete at EFI, I decided on an Accessport and Tuning package. I tried to get an Accesport 2nd hand here but everybody was asking for $450-$500 at the least. I felt like the trouble of an online transaction wasn't worth it considering I could get a brand new one, hassle free if I purchased the tune and AP from EFI together, saving $100. After receiving the Accessport a few days prior to tuning, I installed Deatschwerks 740cc side-feed injectors and they emailed me a limp map to use to drive up to them.

I drove up to Connecticut last Thursday in the early afternoon, no traffic or issues with the car. I arrived 90 minutes early because I left so early anticipating traffic or the possibility of car issues. Chris got going ahead of schedule.

After reviewing the my install, going over maintenance history with me, and getting details of my expectations, he got to work. After a pull and a half on the dyno, Chris immediately realized that my fuel pump was on it's way out. Within 5 minutes, they ran a fuel pressure test and verified this.

Chris offered to make a map so I can go home and install a new pump because I've been doing all the work on the car. I allocated extra funds prior to tuning day, just incase something like this happened so I figured I would just let them perform the fuel pump install since they probably perform a few of them a week. I've never performed a fuel pump install on our cars and didn't want to mess around with modifying the housing to get the pump to fit correctly and possible wreck my housing.

So.....

While Jack installed an AVO fuel pump, I chatted with Chris and Rob around the shop. The facility is very nice, there's a lot of eye candy to look at. Rob was working on an engine and shared a lot of useful knowledge with me. Chris gave me some pointers and showed me other cars they were working on.

After the FP install was completed, Chris went back to work. After a few pulls and tweaks, we were good to go. I didn't ask for anything pushing the limits or too aggressive and Chris met and exceeded my expectations.

I was able to make 274whp/294ft-lbs of torque using a stock intercooler (custom JB Weld fabrication by yours truly ;) ).

I tried to get a top mount before tuning but they disappear on this board within an hour of posting a sale. My AFRs are at safe levels now, the car isn't eating gas considering the injector and pump upgrade, and no raw fuel smell! Needless to say, that was the best 115 mile drive home. The car pulls like a champ! I'm very pleased and highly recommend EFI to anyone seeking a tuner/performance shop.

A big THANK YOU to Chris, Pete, Jack, Rob, and the entire EFI crew!

Here's my modification list and some pictures of the VF52 / uppipe / downpipe / intercooler mod/ install process along with my dyno chart.

2005 Legacy GT Manual Trans

VF52 Turbo

Deatschwerks 740cc Side-Feed Injectors

AVO Fuel Pump

Greddy Upipe

Perrin Downpipe

Borla Cat-back Exhaust

K&N Panel Filter

OldParts.thumb.jpg.5eec646adbc1aff5ef243a0d4d8e9fa1.jpg

Turbo_Downpipe.thumb.jpg.12b7f3950779ff798b7a39d21438a46e.jpg

Turbo_2.thumb.jpg.884bacaa442c8f90eac29b478c4ab573.jpg

Car_Bottom.thumb.jpg.6443bdcb06d9bc2cf71120c56056e48b.jpg

Intercooler.thumb.jpg.cab7a462368aa15b3367951fb66ee500.jpg

Hood.thumb.jpg.ca1ade2c206704af251ace7cca281979.jpg

CarClean.thumb.jpg.baaaedd5ddd5e8f6e1bfbd9ce2ee7dab.jpg

EFITune.thumb.jpg.1281ce7bbeed6ff30fe66fbf4c2c1cb2.jpg

That is an amazing review. I am headed to EFI sometime in April after my downpipe comes in. Will be doing all the installs myself, except I will be letting them do my wideband and oil pressure gauge install.

Thanks! Well, I should thank EFI :redface:. I totally agree, I don't know about trying to weld a bung in my downpipe for a wideband sensor, I would leave that to the pros also. Oil pressure isn't as bad on the other hand.

I'll post my results up once I go along with some new pics. Picked up some Rota Tarmac 2's and an RBS grill (which just needs some paint). Happy Spring :lol:

Ahhhh...wheels. I spent all my money on engine parts :(, wish I had some extra dough for wheels. You car should look sweet, I'll be looking out for your results. GOOD LUCK!

Yeah I went to a dyno day there. They patiently answered my questions. They're doing a Tune, EBCS, some exhaust work (need a weld on my perrin mid), avo stout mounts and perrin end links. Can't wait.

Didn't wanna say but thats not far from what you previously put down without the exhaust and fuel mods...;)

The guys there were great. As for my numbers (I'll post my dyno plot once I get it copied) were 267/297 on my Infamous tune.

Didn't wanna say but thats not far from what you previously put down without the exhaust and fuel mods...;)

There's also much more to calibrating a car than just power numbers, peak numbers mean nothing if the car doesn't drive well or has a less than linear power curve.

- Chris

Wow, very clean JB weld job there!

^ +1. :wub:

OK, someone teach me how to JB-Weld that nicely!!!!!! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 weeks later...
^ +1. :wub:

OK, someone teach me how to JB-Weld that nicely!!!!!! :)

Thanks! It's easy...

1. Take off the intercooler.
  2. Clean the intercooler thoroughly and use an evaporating degreaser like carb cleaner where you intend to put JB Weld.
  3. Let it dry then tape around the area you want the JB Weld with Blue 3M Painters Tape. So basically 2 bands around the left side, two bands around the right side.
  4. Mix up some JB weld and let it set up slightly (15min) so it doesn't drip so easily, and apply it with a wooden Popsicle stick or something similar. You have to do one side at a time. Hang the intercooler from the ceiling with a coat hanger so either endtank is pointing up. Do one side, let it sit for half a day, then do the other.
  5. Let the intercooler cure for at least a day, preferably more if you can.

I did mine last Friday with similar steps. As N.M.B. said, do one side at a time. This was my process:

- rub down areas to be bonded with scotch-brite to remove any stuck-on gunk

- rough up the tabs and plastic with 50 grit sandpaper to provide maximum grip for the JB Weld

- blow off with compressed air

- wipe down with acetone

- tape off the limits of the bond on the core and end tank sides with painter's tape

- whip up a batch of JB Weld, let it sit 10 minutes

- layer it on with a popsicle stick

- smooth over with a nonpowder latex glove

- VERY carefully peel off the painters tape so it is not bonded to the IC

- lay the IC on a desk or table with the bonded end hanging off over some newspaper

- rotate the IC every 15 minutes for the first hour and then every 30 minutes for the next 2 hours to avoid running

Follow those steps and you should come out with a product like this:

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/tunedlgt/P1020073.jpg

Thanks to N.M.B. for getting my wheels turning as to how to do this job cleanly!

^ Dudes, y'all are, like, JB-Weld masters!!!! :D

I've *gotta* try that. I need to pick up a spare OEM TMIC. :)

Thanks for the step-by-step and the encouragement! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I did mine last Friday with similar steps/Thanks to N.M.B. for getting my wheels turning as to how to do this job cleanly!

Touche' my friend! ;)

After reading your post I wish I sanded the area the JB weld goes. Nice job.

Yeah, major props on the JB. I saw that and said "WTF?!" Does EFI do e-tunes? I know you said that they emailed you a limp map. I don't live anywhere close to CT, but I've heard so many of good things about EFI that I would love to have a tune by them.

Thanks man.

Don't quote me on this but I don't think they do E-Tunes. They sent me a limp map because I swapped injectors at home before the tune.

Your best bet is to PM or call them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
If you do buy a used stocker, make sure it didn't see a tune prior to JB welding anything.

I'm not sure if the one I have has seen any increased boost or not. I'm going to use pliers or a vice or clamp etc to make sure all the tabs are as tight as posible, then get into the sanding, cleaning, taping off and welding.

• 4 weeks later...

Just went to EFI logics this morning and I'm very pleased with the out come. I asked for a conservative stage II tune due the high mileage of the car and I believe the turbo is original to the car. If I push the car too much I'm just asking for trouble.

I didn't get the HP numbers I was looking for but the torque out put was better than expected. In the end they are just numbers on paper and all about how the car feels and it feels great.

220HP

273ft lb torque

16.9 PSI

14.6 AFR

specs:

93 oct

ERZ w/flex UP

CNT DP

K&N Typhoon

CX lighting Cat back Exhaust

402598949_EFILogicsTune.thumb.jpg.cc39a465e4b2bc7311d063c96c181df7.jpg

I'm hungry:bbq:This burger is never gonna cook.

Just went to EFI logics this morning and I'm very pleased with the out come. I asked for a conservative stage II tune due the high mileage of the car and I believe the turbo is original to the car. If I push the car too much I'm just asking for trouble.

I didn't get the HP numbers I was looking for but the torque out put was better than expected. In the end they are just numbers on paper and all about how the car feels and it feels great.

220HP

273ft lb torque

16.9 PSI

14.6 AFR

specs:

93 oct

ERZ w/flex UP

CNT DP

K&N Typhoon

CX lighting Cat back Exhaust

Cool. I just got my Invidia UP, CNT DP, GMS CBE,TransCool, and Tranny bushing done. Can you say what the dyno tune ran you? I might make a run out to EFI...and how do you like your CBE?

Cool. I just got my Invidia UP, CNT DP, GMS CBE,TransCool, and Tranny bushing done. Can you say what the dyno tune ran you? I might make a run out to EFI...and how do you like your CBE?

Open source dyno tune was $530 w/ sales tax its very expensive but well worth it,I was in and out in under an hour. A word of caution if you like to tweak your tunes your self you may want to pass because I was told that the tune is encrypted/scrambled.

As for my CBE the larger diameter piping is nice but the mufflers are something to be desired. They far to loud for me, I tried putting the stock ones back on but I bent the flanges on them so they leak like crazy. When I get my half shaft replaced next week I'm going have my mechanic see if he straighten them out. I would try but after three days under the car I need a break.

I forgot too I also have a tranny cooler installed as well and a rallitek transmission insert bushing but thats not installed yet.

^^^very nice. They run a Mustang dyno so our 5EAT's with the torque converter will read low. MY stg 2.5 only put out 228whp. Nice number none-the-less.

Yeah when I spoke to Chris at EFI he said the 5EAT dyno less than the manual transmissions. I was hoping to get closer to 250hp but it handles so much smoother now and doesn't feel like something holding it back anymore so I'm happy.

Archived