LegacyGT.com

My rubberized DIY grille

Bolksey85

That's right. Spray on rubber coating for a grille. Why? Because this stuff can be wiped off like Elmer's glue after it dries. It just peels right off leaving no evidence whatsoever.

1. We all know the chrome wings on the 08/09 grille. For the last few days, I was tempted to pick up a can and try it. Today it happened.

IMG_0250.thumb.jpg.3d8569b55b408025f26a1d1820f74b40.jpg

2. Masked the front end quickly just for easier clean up. Again, if so desired, this isn't needed because it peels off like tape or can be taken off with a quick detailer and clean cloth. I did minimal prep. Wiped off water spots and that was about it. Didn't scuff the chrome or anything. If it peels or chips off, I'll get another can, remask it, scuff the chrome off and give it a better shot second time around.

IMG_0251.thumb.jpg.af8b8986091dfa7c83375f6005218491.jpg

3. I wanted to keep the emblem for a little color so I masked it and cut around the perimeter with a sharp razor. I also pushed the plastic behind the grille with a putty knife so it would make a clean, sharp edge.

IMG_0252.thumb.jpg.cc9b006cba141d2ab7f42a6984e523d0.jpg

4. First coat is on and drying. It lays like paint and keeps a gloss until it dries and turns flat/matte black.

IMG_0254.thumb.jpg.2e4f4f1da262900118c60e8f7d89953a.jpg

5. I learned a while ago to spray your coats at whatever intervals you feel necessary and remove the plastic and tape while damp or tacky. If youlet it dry too long, it forms a skin around everything and can be touchy to remove just the masking without the paint.

IMG_0255.thumb.jpg.5a4497ab9206756b431a22b86e6bd23b.jpg

6. Drying finish. This was probably 30-45mins after the 1st coat with a few touch ups in between. The directions say wait 30 between coats but I never do. There's a few runs. 1 on right side in the corner and a smaller one on the left but that doesn't bug me. I'll have to get some better pics in daylight tomorrow when it's 100% dry.

IMG_0257.thumb.jpg.20894f5df74e1366032032c269504caf.jpg

7. This is the stuff. It took me 3 or 4 stores before I found it. None at Home Dept, none at Lowes. I ended up finding it at Ace Hardware.

IMG_0260.thumb.jpg.873e30ad4586ccca4b78053d17a2ae79.jpg

Pros: 1. More durable than paint. Can probably take a rock better at speed.

2. Easy removal. Got it on your lights or paint? Get a rag, some Black Magic and wipe it off.

3. Leftovers can be used to coat tools or whatever you want a good finish on.

Cons: 1. Price-paint can be had for $4. A can of this stuff is $8-10.

2. Availability - can be tough to find in a store. Took me 3 stores before I found it a few years ago and even then, they only had 1 can on the shelf.

3. Might not cover as much as paint because it's a bit thicker so more may be needed depending on what you're doing.

my friend did this to his lancer to "imitate" and Evo X look. He did a poor job on it, so I had to redo it for him. Nevertheless, it looks good. I had just a random thought, would this work if you "painted" the rims with this stuff to give a cheap way of black rims?

No, it comes out black like spray paint. They do have a clear you can get but I don't know how well that comes out. It's similar to truck bedliner coating if you've ever used that. Only difference is this stuff dries smooth, not textured like that bedliner does.

Thanks! When it's dry, it seems pretty tough. I drove about 40-45mi. today and it looks just like it did in the morning. No chips missing or anything. And just to test the car wash, I ran through tonight (froze to death) and it held well. Water beads right off and it didn't show any signs of peeling.

Archived