LegacyGT.com

Garter snake in my car... how to catch it?

bikegeek

This afternoon I get into my subie and find a ~12" - 15" garter snake sitting on my center console. I did my best to capture it, but it evaded me by sliding under the drivers' seat. So now I have to figure a way to get it out of the car so my wife and I don't get surprised again!

Any tips on how to lure the critter out? Last thing I need is to have the little guy pop his head out while we're driving and cause a panic.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you may want to call animal control. perhaps they've had a bit more experience catching snakes.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

^ but how would you know if it left the car?

You wouldn't, but there is a high probability it would leave to find food. Otherwise you get to tear your car apart in the hopes of catching the little bastard. Being lazy and pragmatic I would leave the one of the doors open if possible.

Turn the heat on full blast and let it idle for a little while. That should eliminate a few good hiding spots.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Ummmmm......just HOW did you get a snake INTO your car in the first place ?

(just wondering :) )

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say he left the door open......just a thought....

Disconnect the battery open a door and leave it open overnight.

I'm not the only person wondering if that's how the problem started. :lol:

My friends and I used to catch garter snakes just once in a while in grade school. They are not particularly dangerous. One of them bit me, and I didn't even notice... I after catching it, I rode my bike over to a friend, holding the snake in one hand. When I got there I tried to hand the snake to my friend, and felt a tug on the back of my hand as I did so. The little bugger's mouth was open almost 180 degrees near the base of my index finger.

"Whoah, he bit me! Cool!" If I remember right, they have one little tooth on top, and one on the bottom, 2-3mm long.

They smell kinda bad when frightened, if one was in my car that would worry me the most.

If you have access to compressed air, that might be a useful herding tool.

• Mega Users

When we would get snakes in our garage as a kid, we would take a propane tank in there and let out some of the gas. We let it go enough to get the smell through the whole garage and those suckers would leave pretty quickly

Propane is odorless but they put the rotten egg smell into it for obvious safety reasons. I know the smell didn't linger long in the garage but i'm not sure about an upholstered car interior. If you don't get any better solutions, I would def try that

And +1 for weirdest thread of the year:lol:

How to catch a garder snake.

Step 1 stop being a pussy

Step 2 reach under your seat

Step 3 when snake bites you, you will realize it really doesnt hurt that bad

Step 4 remove hand with snake firmly attached

Step 5 drive your car happily

EDIT: It is a GARDER SNAKE. It is like getting bitten by a lizard. It it doubtful a bite can break the skin. Bunch of goddamn girly men.

How to catch a garder snake.

Step 0 get wife/girlfriend/mom to watch, "just in case"

Step 1 stop being a pussy

Step 2 reach under your seat

Step 3 when snake bites you, you will realize it really doesnt hurt that bad

Step 4 remove hand with snake firmly attached

Step 5 run around screaming and flailing like your hair is on fire

Step 6 "just kidding!"

Step 7 drive your car happily

Edited for hilarity.

Archived