LegacyGT.com

GT wagon suspension too soft?...maybe

WRXTom

Keep in mind that I am moving from a WRX wagon with factory STi suspension. My initial impression is that the GT has similar (not the same, but similar) suspension dynamics as the WRX. At relatively high highway speeds (say 75 mph+...I spent 6 hours yesterday cruising at ~85-90 mph), the GT and WRX have similar "float". Those with stock WRXs will know what I am referring to. When I hit a swell on the highway it takes that extra bounce for the GT suspension to settle. On the WRX, when I upgraded to STi spec, there was nothin' but a direct connection to the road. The downside to the Sti setup is a ride that can be too firm and fatiguing at times. I was really hoping to avoid the need to upgrade but, for me, the GT suspension will require some firming up for me to be satisfied. I don't want to do a complete suspension swap but firmer STi springs would be a likely upgrade. As a guess, If I can get 20-25% firmer than stock I should be OK. As always, the experience of others may vary. Tom

Hmmmm. I watched the video (granted, it was on the track) of a Legacy wagon test drive, and at 120 mph, the ride was smooth and sufficiently composed that the driver could offer commentary to go along with the pictures. I'll wait until I drive mine, but that "floaty" quality is something that has heretofore not been commented on by anyone. And as you said, the STi suspension setup has its downsides, in addition to its benefits. One possible alternative might to haunt EBay Japan, where one WRX wagon owner found an STi Genome suspension for his wagon, that he likes a lot. I have the STi suspension on my WRX wagon, along with the STi lateral/trailing/swaybar links, etc, and yes, it's a really tight, great-handling ride, but that isn't the ride quality that I want from my GT wagon, I have to say. I also wonder about the tires' contribution to the floaty feeling. I know that with my STi suspension on Blizzaks, 80 was fraught with uncertainty. With the P1/Dunlop 9000 combo, 80 seemed really slow. Kevin

I don't notice much, if any, float. Feels quite tight to me. Of course the highways around Seattle are not known to be very smooth. The Outback XT was definitely more of a "plush" ride than the GT. Seems like I can feel just about every joint and rough spot in the road. Remember though that I'm not coming from a super tight sport tuned suspension and my seat time in sports cars has been about as close to nill as can be. So...I guess you'll have to take my comments with the proverbial "grain of salt". Cheers! -Ian

Without the WRX STi suspension as my reference I am sure I would be more than satisfied. But, at higher speeds, and to some degree at lower speeds, the GT could be tighter. Given stock tire pressures, stock alignment, stock everything the best way I can describe it is that the car is very composed (100 mph was as high as I went...wanted to keep the rpms down during break-in) just not completely connected to the road. Keep in mind I am not a steet racer by any stretch of the imagination. I have two baby seats (empty at the time of course) in the back seat. Stability and control at higher speeds was the primary reason I upgraded the WRX. Tires may also play a part. I have 17 Rotas with 215/45/17 Kuhmo MXs in my garage. If I have time I may throw them on this weekend and see what happens. The car, as a whole, is excellent. Fantastic engine, brakes, transmission. For handling, I strongly suspect that I will need to find a balance between the comfort of the GT setup and the performance of the WRX STi gear. If it is as easy as a spring upgrade I will be thrilled. Tom

On a very practical note, does the clearance and suspension on the Leg GT keep the significant front overhang from scraping on nasty driveways with a dip. Audi Quattro A6 was a daily pain for this reason. My youngest sons V40 Volvo with sport susspension is low, has big front overhang, but never scrapes on the worst driveways. Question is not as much fun as high speed cornering issues, but a real issue for living with car day-to-day.

Konis ride like krap, in my experience. Too hard, and no off-roadability, so hijinks such as we saw in the pictures of the two GTs being tossed around in the dirt would be out of the question. Never mind having to find a pair of donor struts to cut up, etc, etc. The WRX rides significantly differently with just wheels and tires. I am always loath to change suspensions (having done it many times on my WRX) because the suspension is usually a well thought-out part of the car, by people with bigger pocketbooks and brains than I have. Having said that, a stock suspension is also a compromise, and altering that compromise comes with tradeoffs, which have already been mentioned in this thread. The first thing I would change would be tires. People with WRXes complained about that same floatiness. When they changed tires, in most cases, it went away. It will also be difficult to get the Legacy to have the same ride quality, and yet feel like the STi suspended WRX. I know, because I have an STi suspended WRX. I'd bet the answer is a tire change away, as don't forget that the common characteristic between the Legacy and the WRX is the RE92. Kevin

After a few more miles on the car, I think I have come to my senses :) and am more than satisfied with the Legacy suspension. As expected, it has quite different characteristics than an STi setup. I am still sorting through them. The compromise between comfort and performance is well judged. Sticky enough (even with the RE92s) to keep me happy and compliant enough to take my 3 year old for a drive to put him to sleep. The more I drive it the more I like it. Tom

That really is good to hear considering for years we've been waiting for that 'perfect' setup, a good balance with the right geometry, spring rates, dampers, etc to make transient driving bearable without giving it up on the back roads. Makes me happier every day reading things like this. :)

• 1 month later...
Update...I am still undecided on the suspension. Something with the stiffness of the STi suspension on my WRX would be too aggressive for the GT. I suspect that the Japanese settings would be a good fit for me. I'm interested in what nicd discovers when he puts the Spec B kit in. Tom

Another option I had discussed with Kevin, actually he brought it up is to increase your spring rates by perhaps 20% give/take but lower your front sway bar which increases oversteer while not making it as tail-happy and prone to snap oversteer. Just an idea, but a sound one. I may be going this route. Something like STi/SPT/Prodrive Springs + Cusco Front Bar if available in a lower setting than stock. Perhaps next year. :)

If we are lucky, things can be tightened up with a somewhat stiffer spring rate (+20% sound about right...similar to Prodrive springs for the WRX I believe). Personally, I don't think sway bars are the mandatory modification they were with my WRX wagon wher the addition of the sedan bar or STi wagon version made a siginificant difference in cornering balance. I'm not interested in a Legacy version of the STi setup I had in my WRX wagon. Very responsive but it would be too stiff for day-to-day living. I would sacrifice some performance for greater comfort. Plus, I'm trying to avoid the modification black hole which can suck bills out of your wallet in a hurry. Tom

I agree it shouldn't be stiff like a STi Suspension pack on a WRX. I'm just saying, for those who want something more, it could likely help without sacrificing too much. I don't buy mods if I can't pay for them straight-up without a nice reserve fund behind that.

Archived